MagicQ - Controlling cue levels by references

kaareolai

Hi all!

As I cannot find the belgian englishspoken forum, and I know there are many magicq users here, I bring my questions here:

I often use another PC lighting application that can record channel levels and other attributes into groups ("pallettes"), ie *syntaxially* like example group_one = (1@30,5@50,8@FF). Thereafter I can record the cue with references to these groups, besides of course also direct channel values, as example levelwise cue1 = (group_one@50,stage_left@30,group3@FF,8@75). In this way I can as with pallette references change/finetune only the groups levels, and still keep my cues untouched when I want to set up the performance at a different stage.

I have tried a bit with recording pallettes. I also earlier have used submasters with different "groups", and then made balanced level cues by programmer snapshots, but this only gives me direct levels(!?). If you get what I am trying to achieve, are you able to give me a clue of what to look into...!? ;-)

Another thing: How can I easily see which pallette references are recorded into a cue?

Regards Kåre Olai

I am sure that early versions of the MagicQ had Intensity palettes but at some point they disappeared, perhaps along with the Avo Classic style attribute selection that was also an option. As I'm pretty sure Intensity palettes as you describe no longer exist in the MagicQ, I guess your next option is to consider your workflow.

Depending on what you need to achieve, either using the power of tracking, selective record and/or Linked Copy cues can reduce the amount of re-recording of levels. A cue that is a linked copy only needs one instance to be edited. However, none of the solutions will give you a referenced building block.

Views on the MagicQ, including the programmer, View Cue, etc. should all show the palette name instead of hard values if using the reference. View Palette will also show nested palettes making up them up. Quickest way to check your cue (and then edit it) is probably to Include it into the programmer and look in the programmer window with Simple View selected.

I am sure that early versions of the MagicQ had Intensity palettes but at some point they disappeared ...

Thanks alot for reply! I also vaguely remember another possibility earlier, but at that time I usually used another brand lighting desk ;-)

In manual I find hints about [REC INT] etc, and that seems to work in a way. I then are able to record int levels on specified dimmers/heads examplewise at BEAM palette window. Only "problem" is that I need to select all heads just so the heads that the intensity is set up for in the palette becomes actually set.

Miss a way to select palettes that have discrete heads in them directly, so that both heads and their respective attribute levels are set at once, even on cleared programmer. Might be just a system setup I have missed.

Yes, thanks, I see the palette name in examplewise View Cue etc. Strangely I see it in "Simple View", and usual %-values in "Adv View". ;-)

Thanks for listing up different ways of programming.

Archived