par 64

gchris

Not quite Gareth,

I have silver Thomas PAR 64s with the manufacturer's label on them stating max lamp 650W.

Silver dissipates less heat that black, hence the lower rating. Other makes of can may be different.

Not quite Gareth,

I have silver Thomas PAR 64s with the manufacturer's label on them stating max lamp 650W.

Silver dissipates less heat that black, hence the lower rating. Other makes of can may be different.

Really? All the silver par64 lanterns I've ever seen (Thomas or otherwise) have been perfectly happy with 1k lamps. What's the model number on the manufacturer's label on these cans?

Here on the last page it says for the ray light lamps- (240v) 500w (120v) 600w. Is this the type of cans that your on about dave ?

Raylights are a different matter - they're a reflector which sits in the back of the can in place of the lamp, and into which you put an A1/244 or DYR lamp. In terms of 'standard' par lamps (CP class 240v, or their ANSI 120v equivalents), a Par64 can will take a 1000w lamp.

In terms of 'standard' par lamps (CP class 240v, or their ANSI 120v equivalents), a Par64 can will take a 1000w lamp.

Check the specification of your can, many silver Par64 cans are rated at 500/600w, not just Ray Light cans.

I was looking at the plug on my par can.and I did see it was marked 1000w 125v

so I guss I'm good.Now when I put a 1000w bulb in do I need a shield?its a black par can no shield

Archived