DMX

Mr.Si

Hi I could find anything from the search of forums regarding this, so here goes...

My Z88 Level 24 Plus arrived the other day (ebay auction) and it has DMX output, which is what I wanted, and it is the 5 pin version as opposed to the 3 pin version.

I have two questions:

1. What is the difference between 3 and 5 pin DMX?

2. I know you can send 512 channels down 1 DMX cable, but how does each dimmer know which channel of DMX to respond to?

The afore mentioned Z88 desk is a manual desk, with 24 channels of faders in bunches of 6. There is no way of setting addresses for each control, so I'm a bit confused as to how it happens. Esp if there is more than one dimmer pack being used.

Oh! I've just kinda thought of another question out of the paragraph above.

3. If I want to use more than one 6 channel DMX dimmer pack, how do they interface with each other in order for the right faders on the control desk to control the right channel of dimmer?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am a sound man.

Mr. Si

1. What is the difference between 3 and 5 pin DMX?

Technically, USITT DMX-512 (1990) uses 5 pin XLR connections to transmit the signals. Some cheaper disco kit, or earlier moving heads, such as the Mac 500 and 600, use 3 pin XLRs. There is no difference in the signal they recieve, just the physical connector is different. If you need to connect your Level 24 to 3 pin equipment, you'll need to get hold of an interface lead - 5pin Male to 3pin Female. Most hire companies stock these, or you can buy them from most suppliers. 10 out of 10 stock the DMX Converter range, which encompasses a 5pin Male and 3pin Female in the same housing. It is not recommended to use these when connecting to surface or pannel mounted XLR connectors, as the extra weight could lead to weakening of the electrical conncetions inside the unit.

2. I know you can send 512 channels down 1 DMX cable, but how does each dimmer know which channel of DMX to respond to?

DMX transmits all 512 channels throughout the entire run of the DMX cable. The dimmers are set to a 'start address' which tells the dimmers which DMX channels to respond to. This is normally set by DIP switches or a digital display. Check the manual for the individual dimmer for instructions on addressing them.

Setting a 6 channel dimmer to address #1 will result in it responding to the DMX signals on channels 1 to 6.

The afore mentioned Z88 desk is a manual desk, with 24 channels of faders in bunches of 6. There is no way of setting addresses for each control, so I'm a bit confused as to how it happens. Esp if there is more than one dimmer pack being used.

The Level 24 will output DMX on channels 1 to 24. Fader 1 will talk to whichever DMX device(s) are set to respond to that channel.

3. If I want to use more than one 6 channel DMX dimmer pack, how do they interface with each other in order for the right faders on the control desk to control the right channel of dimmer?

The DMX signal can be daisy chained between devices. As I said furthur up this post, the full 512 channel signal is transmitted between devices, and the devices simply listen for the channels they're being told to listen for (their start address).

Please excuse my ignorance, I am a sound man.

Mr. Si

No problem - we all have to start somewhere. If you've got any questions on any of the above, let me know.

One more thing - don't forget to terminate your DMX line. This is done by using a 120ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3 of a male XLR (both 5 pin and 3pin use the same pins for hot and cold data). This terminator is then inserted into the 'thru' connector on the last unit in the chain. The termination effectively gives the line an 'infite' length, stopping data reflections which can cause the equipment to get confused.

Peter

The Sirius 24 will output DMX on channels 1 to 24.  Fader 1 will talk to whichever DMX device(s) are set to respond to that channel. 

Thanks Peter.

Regarding your mention of the Z88 Sirius 24, is that the new name for the Level 24 Plus?

Si

Apologies, Si. My bad - the Sirius is another desk made by Zero88 and when typing my reply, I deleted the bit of your post which mentioned the desk by name. I used Sirius as a guess, but have now edited my reply. Apologies for the confusion.

NO NO NO, IGNORE ALL THAT ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMX is code for dinky mini xmen, they travel down the cable whisper in the ears of nthe resident men at the dimmers and tell them what level to be at!! They travel very fast and are very friendly.

Thats how it works and do not beleive anyone else they will tell you the easter bunny and father christmas dont exist either.

(or just read the very well put truth before this junk ;-)

NO NO NO, IGNORE ALL THAT ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMX is code for dinky mini xmen, they travel down the cable whisper in the ears of nthe resident men at the dimmers and tell them what level to be at!! They travel very fast and are very friendly.

Thats how it works and do not beleive anyone else they will tell you the easter bunny and father christmas dont exist either.

(or just read the very well put truth before this junk ;-)

aha, that's how you do the quote thing...

finally, someone who speaks my language..and of course, the 'e' in email stands for elf and it is they who fly through the ether delivering messages. Hence, I'll elf you/ send and elf through with that etc ;)

Moderation : Ok Ok, enough comedy folks. Keep things on-topic, please.

Anyway, anyone know what the extra 2 pinsare for in a DMX cable, or is it just so people dont plug it into sound kit.

Moderation : Lengthy off-topic quote and unnecessary off-topic comment removed. When we say "keep it on-topic", we mean it. Any further off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted and will earn their contributors a 10% warn level increase.

Anyway, anyone know what the extra 2 pinsare for in a DMX cable, or is it just so people dont plug it into sound kit.

It is a bit "Round Tuit". They are there for 'something extra' when USITT get around to it. They just didn't bother. Some manufacturers use it for power, which is more than a bit naughty really...

It is a bit "Round Tuit". They are there for 'something extra' when USITT get around to it. They just didn't bother. Some manufacturers use it for power, which is more than a bit naughty really...

They got around to it - DMX512-A has a section on 'Enhanced DMX'

Archived