Cracker vs. hazer

Tontsa

Hi,

I came across with this question when I checked the list of technical equipments of a theatre we're going to do a show at. It said that they have a cracker there and I know it's almost the same as a hazer but is there some kind of difference between them?

A cracker is a machine which uses a mineral oil which then has compressed air blown through it, the result of the 'cracking' is a very fine mist of oil droplets which produces a haze.

Crackers in my opinion produce a much nicer haze to water based machines, which are essentially a smoke machine with fans and a different fluid. The haze from a cracker is less noticable until you put beams through it, it disperses better so there are less clouds, and it hangs around for a lot longer than water based machines.

Crackers in my opinion produce a much nicer haze to water based machines, which are essentially a smoke machine with fans and a different fluid. The haze from a cracker is less noticable until you put beams through it, it disperses better so there are less clouds, and it hangs around for a lot longer than water based machines.

Agreed - the haze from a proper cracker (e.g. a Cirro machine) is far superior to that from a water-based smoke-machine-with-a-fan-on-the-front hazer (e.g. Jem or LeMaitre). It 'hangs' better, and is much finer. The only problem with it is that, over time, it has a habit of leaving a thin oily residue over things like lenses and colour - if you're using one long-term, it's something to consider.

The only water-based hazer that I've used and liked is the Unique by Look Solutions - about as close as you can get to an oil cracker without actually being one!

The only water-based hazer that I've used and liked is the Unique by Look Solutions - about as close as you can get to an oil cracker without actually being one!

I totally agree. We use two of them in Paradiso, Amsterdam and they're fantastic for both bands and dancenights. On low-level they're quite like DF-50 cracker and on full output like any other mid-sized smoke machine, but giving a far nicer haze that stays in the air longer.

If anyone is thinking about what smoke machine to buy I would seriously advice to check these out.

crackers are also better on tv... they produce thousands of tiny 'flat disc' like droplets in the air, when looking acrros these said 'flat discs' you can't really see the haze... ideal for close up sots etc on tv. But then looking at an angle you catch the flat area of the disc and therefore can see the haze. I think this explains what I mean... hope it helps

Would also like to add the Cirro Strata CS6 hazers to the list of good hazers (call me biased if you like as we stock them in our hire stock). One feature which makes it stand out for me is the ability to separate the compressor from the tank to reduce noise. Especially useful in TV/Theatre environments.

• 4 weeks later...
The only problem with it is that, over time, it has a habit of leaving a thin oily residue over things like lenses and colour - if you're using one long-term, it's something to consider.

Does anyone know if there are any safety concerns at all with a cracker? (my school is paranoid about safety - I once had to wait for a week before I could have a smoke machine that I hired back while they did a full health and safety check on it :)). Like, in the long term the thin oily residue won't damage anything or start any fires will it?

The residue will need cleaning off at regular intervals - how regular depends how much haze you use of course!

I have heard about health concerns, but I'd class them as the 'paranoid' variety rather than anything serious. A small amount of dryness of eyes and throat is the worst I've come across - but that was in people with existing conditions making them more susceptible.

Don't drink the fluid though!

As to fire hazards - never heard any concern about the residue itself, but the stuff means that more dust will collect on any surfaces - this may become a fire issue if you don't clean them every few years!

I have heard about health concerns, but I'd class them as the 'paranoid' variety rather than anything serious.  A small amount of dryness of eyes and throat is the worst I've come across - but that was in people with existing conditions making them more susceptible.

Oh, one other thing - if I use a water- or oil-based hazer/cracker, the audience won't get wet, will they if the liquid condenses in the air? I'm sure this is paranoid but our hall isn't massive so I'd be using it in quite a confined space.

No, they won't get wet. By "water based" this simply means that the fluid is mostly water, and is similar to 'standard' smoke fluid. It is not a spray of water that comes out of the machine or anything, you should be ok!

has anyone had experience of the antari "fazers" which claim to be able to produce fog (smoke) and haze? The look like they're a conventional smoke machine with added fans and a venty on the front. Do they produce a worthwhile haze or is it just like using a smoke macine with a fan behind it?

Archived