Multiplay problem

sleah

You, my friend, are a God.

However, I don't have an XP machine to procure the file from. I'm currently experimenting with several online codec packs which may or may not contain the required file. I'll post again in a short while if anything I can do successfully fixes this.

EDIT: I found a codec pack that contains what would appear to be an outdated version of the codec. Would anybody with Windows XP be willing to grab the file and send it to me?

EDIT 2: I looked at the version number of the version I found, and it was higher than the one you suggested. using what can only be described as beer logic, I decided that made it ok to try it anyway, It works on Windows 8. Tested with .mp3 and .m3u files. Below is how I found the codec if anyone eles is dumb enough to want to try this.

I WILL NOT GUARANTEE THE SAFETY OF USING THIS CODEC. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Download BCM1043.exe from HERE

2. Run the file and install the codec pack.

3. Go to c:\Program Files\BCM\Codecs\DIRECTS\Fraunhofer and copy/paste the codec to somewhere safe.

4. Uninstall the codec pack using add/remove programs.

5. Follow allanr's instructions.

6. NOTE: While doing this I installed another Codec pack, K-Lite. The above method did not work until that pack was uninstalled, and "Yes" clicked on rather a lot of boxes asking to remove redundant codecs. I'm not sure whether that makes a difference or not, but I'm fairly sure if you do not install K-lite you shouldn't have issues.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allanr, you've cracked it. You are indeed a god!

Just done this on my Vista32 desktop and Win7x64 Laptop, using the file from an XP machine, and they now both work fine with mp3s,

Thank you

anyone who needs the l3codecx.ax file feel free to pm me with an email address and I'll gladly send it

or this might work..

https://www.dropbox....c67/l3codecx.ax

May I ask a serious question?

Why is anybody bothering with a compressed format like MP3 for live playback? Disk space is cheap, quality is better and, by luck, there are no Multiplay issues on wave (that I've found).

All my sound effects archives are in wave anyway; if I have to buy music I convert it to wave to normalise levels and trim the ins and outs to be instant anyway.

So, why bother with MP3 for this application?

Some of us do shows where we are given files (or cds containing wma files or stranger) minutes before tech rehearsal and sticking them straight into multiplay is quicker, easier and less stressful than trying to re-encode them or burn them to cd.

If I prepare something I'll always work at wave level, but I'm not always given the choice.

In GoldWave, batch converting a bunch of MP3 to WAVs requires half a dozen mouse clicks plus folder navigation, and that included starting and exiting the program, and I'm sure its about the same effort with everyone else's favourite sound editing tool.

For the certainty of playback that .WAVs give, I recommend (and always use .WAVs). They just work. And the conversion time and effort to get there is trivial.

I agree with all of the above.

I always work in .wav for spot effects and indeed any production sound. If I record or edit a file I'd never save the result to a lossy format.

I do however have a library of several hundred cds saved as mp3 which I use for background / house music and it's handy to be able to knock up playlists without having to decode them first.

Yes hard drives are now much cheaper and bigger and I should really go back and re rip all the CDs in uncompressed format but I find mp3 at 320Kbps is good enough quality for low level background music.

Besides, I'm a geek (like many of us possibly) and it erks me when things don't work properly, even if it is just a small and rarely used bit of functionality in a piece of software!

Maybe I'm showing just a bit of OCD!

Some of us do shows where we are given files (or cds containing wma files or stranger) minutes before tech rehearsal and sticking them straight into multiplay is quicker, easier and less stressful than trying to re-encode them or burn them to cd.

If I prepare something I'll always work at wave level, but I'm not always given the choice.

But Multiplay (or any software that makes a theatre-style "stack" wouldn't be my choice for playback software for that sort of show anyway. I use Multiplay when everything is set in stone before the show goes up.

Beyond that, as others have pointed out, the conversion to wave is also a check on the quality and validity of the file and gives me a chance to trim the in for an instant start plus normalise levels.

The OP raised a valid concern about MultiPlay's performance under Win7/8. In fact the thread almost caused me to avoid evaluating MultiPlay on the basis that if this feature was broken what else might be wrong?

I'm glad I did give it a try as it's an excellent piece of software, but being an engineer I couldn't resist investigating the MP3 issue.

Besides, I'm a geek (like many of us possibly) and it erks me when things don't work properly, even if it is just a small and rarely used bit of functionality in a piece of software!

Maybe I'm showing just a bit of OCD!

Couldn't have put it better.

Now that the root problem has been identified and a solution found, let's be glad that MultiPlay is at full power on Win 7/8, and each can use the appropriate features for our circumstances - other posters advice/warnings noted.

P.S. I've been lurking around the Blue Room for a while and gaining much useful knowledge, so glad to make a small contribution.

David,

Just tried on both Vista and Win 7 and I can't detect any delay from hitting GO to either a WAV or MP3 file starting.

I've also implemented Dave Buckley's British Telephone Ring sample in a MultiPlay sequence, and it fires up immediately and runs well. It loops using 4 separate samples to preserve the bell decay effect.

Perhaps others who've used the l3codecx.ax fix could comment on their findings under Win 7/8?

It's once you've left the computer to sit for a little while, say, 15 minutes, (though the time seems to be random and indeterminable) and it's almost like something goes to sleep - even though all power saving measures including usb bus power saving are turned off. Then when you hit GO there is a random delay before the cue actually fires.

Will try later this week on my win7 machine, what you have posted above and see if it helps/fixes the other issue I raise.

Thanks much for doing the digging on this! :)

David

It's once you've left the computer to sit for a little while, say, 15 minutes, (though the time seems to be random and indeterminable) and it's almost like something goes to sleep - even though all power saving measures including usb bus power saving are turned off. Then when you hit GO there is a random delay before the cue actually fires.

Will try later this week on my win7 machine, what you have posted above and see if it helps/fixes the other issue I raise.

Thanks much for doing the digging on this! :)

David

I was using it for a three night run of "Honk!". On the final night when I hit the first cue (about 20mins in) nothing came out, the screen did the grey thing with the circley mouse icon. Luckily I whipped the fader down, as it then ungreyed and played the cue about 1-2mins later :o

I assumed it was Windows being Windoze, but I'm wondering now? :huh:

I've had small delays, but nothing over a Second. If you listen very carefully with gains cranked (and firing a silent WAV), you can hear the sound card "kicking in" with a small increase in background noise. Only really an issue for quick cues that need to be in an exact place.

Warning, speculation ahead: If you have issues with this, maybe a quick solution would be a silent wav file cue on loop throughout the entire production?

Archived