ROBE RS232

pdherring

Guys/Gals,

Does anyone know the pinouts for the ROBE RS232 lead? Its ridiculously expensive for what it is and having made many other leads like this in the past I dont want to purchase one if I can help it. I have lots of ColorSpots and ColorWash lamps that are on very old firmware versions and one of the issues I am having with one of these lamps is apparently fixed in a software update.

I have searched the web so if anyone else can find it out there then you are a better man than me ;)

Thanks

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

pdherring, I've just been looking for the same thing, if you find anything out could you please share?

Thanks

Chris

No Chris never got anywhere with this. I really dont want to spend the sort of money ROBE want for this. But I have 8 ColorWash on release firmware and I know I need to get them done :(

Just seems silly to spend so much when I am sure it is just going to be some RS232 pins to probably the spare pins on the 5pin DMX line

Can't you have a look inside the fixtures?

See whether pins 4 & 5 go to an RS232 transceiver IC? (or can you point us to a schematic for your fixtures? Not sure if Robe publish these)

My best guess would be the cable is just a dumb RS-232 to RS-485 converter for level conversion.

My best guess would be the cable is just a dumb RS-232 to RS-485 converter for level conversion.

They often use one of the handshake lines to switch the RS485 between transmit and receive... and there are 2 varieties of which pin is used. But if you have the software for the PC end it's got to be worth a try.

Archived