Diffence between Martin Mac 700 Spot & 250 Beam

Jonathon P

Can anyone help me please,

I'm looking at a lighting quote and I've been quoted for 10 x Martin Mac 700 Spots & 8 Martin Mac 250 Beam.

Can anyone tell me is it really needed to have both can one not do the job of the other????? is there a big diffence?

Well, a good first stab at making that decision would be to look at the spec sheets on the Martin web site, which would give you a HUGE clue.

But to make it easy for you, the Mac 700 spot (or profile to be accurate) has CMY mixing, 2 gobo wheels (one rotating) and prism along with zoom & focus. the 250 Entour Beam is basically a narrow beamed wash fixture, so whilst it also has CMY colour mixing, and whilst it's not truly a profile, but a converted 250 wash, you do get 6 aperture gobos as an option, though they're not as focussable as with a profile.

So, 2 completely different beasts with very different uses.

Oh - and the 700 is a LOT brighter than the 250.

One question though - you're looking at the quote - who requested the fixtures?

Are you the LD for whatever this show is?

If so, surely YOU should be specifying what YOU want to use?

If not, then I'd suggest speaking directly TO the LD for his/her input before you change anything on a spec...

the 250 Entour Beam

Actually the MAC 250 beam, is a conversion kit from the MAC 250 Wash, not the 250 Entour, as some people seem to think (Your not the only one to have said Entour Beam to me in the past)

I would have thought that due to the highly concentrated beam of light, that When the 700's were Iris'ed down to a pencil like beam, vs the 250 beams, the 250's would have been brighter.

Yes in a pinch you could use 700's to do some beam work, but its much better to use a proper beam fixture.

Also I expect that the 700's are much more expensive to hire than the 250's. the 250's definitely can not do the same job as the 700's.

I would continue Tony's (Ynot) suggestion of looking up the Martin Website (Got to be one of the best kicking around I reckon) and checking out all of the specs, and if the fixtures you will be provided are factory spec, or have been modified (i.e. custom gobo's etc.)

Actually the MAC 250 beam, is a conversion kit from the MAC 250 Wash, not the 250 Entour, as some people seem to think (Your not the only one to have said Entour Beam to me in the past)

Minor error on my part (had it in my head that the two were originally Entour spot and Entour wash, but looks like that's not the case), though I did actually state clearly that the beam is a converted wash.

I would have thought that due to the highly concentrated beam of light, that When the 700's were Iris'ed down to a pencil like beam, vs the 250 beams, the 250's would have been brighter.

Hmmmm...

Not that sure it would be, though the beams are admittedly bright little feckers, but I've not done a side by side. The beams will zoom from 3 to 8 degrees, and the 700s 16 to 30 degrees - not really a useable comparison.

But in general terms, the OP shouldn't be comparing them for doing the same job, as that's just not viable.

Factor in the rapid loss of light output that the 250's lamp suffers from as it ages (I've never yet done a show with 250's, or 700' for that matter, where I haven't asked for a complete re-lamp after the first few shows as the Martin Lighting 'White Plaid' begins to show) and you'll find the 700 is always brighter.

I get what you are saying but think it's important that we specify it would only be a perceived brightness. They are both arc sources with mechanical dimming, and as such their maximum intensities are a constant when using only Iris. Of course with Zoom function involved, you are focussing all of that output down to a smaller area and so would get a slight increase in level.

That's by the by though.

the 250 Beam and the 700 spot are two completely different style units for different jobs. As Ynot states, if you are the LD, then it's up to you. If you are not the LD, then it's a discussion that you need to be having with him/her. Nothing winds an LD up quicker than someone changing the spec on them without consultation, and rightly so IMHO.

Cheers

Smiffy

I'm gf Nona guess these have been quoted for a live event of which your not the LD, but maybe the client?

If it's for a stage with bands or dj's performing, they will be on there to give two different variable effects.

If you look at most lighting rigs there will usually be a mix of a spot, wash and beam. Each tool can be used greatly together to create the 'looks' you want!

I'd give the people supplying your quote a quick call and ask them.

Hope this helps!

Archived