Can you recommend a cheep smoke machine

ImagineerTom

Because the heaters, the block engineering and almost every other element of a cheap, cut-out machine is designed to only-just-work with the cut-out option. Cracking them to make them run regardless of the heat cycle produces a machine that works whenever you press the button but which has a dramatically reduced lifespan (we're talking hours) - and because it's a corrupted set of electronics (that are already low budget) I'm not happy leaving such an only-just-safe and completely non-standard and un-supported machine in the hands of general crew for a prolonged run.

The any-time fluid pumping should not affect the lifespan of the machine at all. The thermal switch will still be in place.

The hack to make the pump run at any time in a cheapo machine removes it from being across the thermostat so that it only runs when the thermostat is open (pump runs in series with heater block) and simply runs the pump directly from the mains.

Except that the heaters are designed to cycle occasionally and certainly not with the frequency they do when the machine is in use for more than the 6-8 second bursts they were typically designed for. The quality of the bore in the heater blocks in poor at the best of times, the increase in overall volume combined with the slightly reduced heating temp means that the blocks clog up more quickly, I've also found that the insulation doesn't like the increased heat exposure either; budget "cut-out" machines are designed for very occasional light-duty use and REALLY don't like being modified . I can speak as someone who has designed smoke machines and who has "cracked" many many machines for projects so have lots of theoretical and real world experience of what happens when you DO do this; it's fine for one-offs and short projects but the life is dramatically compromised and I wasn't happy leaving the kit with anyone else's crew.

I will say that most cheap machines have a weakness for prolonged use, where the overall temperature of the internal assembly gradually builds up to where the thermal fuse trips.

I consider cheap machines as a disposable item. I don't think the construction of the mass produced heater block designed purely for ease of manufacture helps. Aluminium tends to fur over time. I suppose a maintenance regime of flushing out with a suitable cleaner would help. Or you could just use a more expensive machine.

Continuous smoke machines don't come cheaply from China. There were and may still be some models from Jem with proportional heat control they will not be cheap.

For a limited run using a really cheap smoker, my method of smoke on cue was;

Count the seconds taken from first power on to smoke first available and add 10 seconds

Turn the power on to the smoker this time before the smoke cue

Press smoke button on smoke cue.

-No mods and no expense, just add a cue the required time before the smoke cue.

So if it takes 90 seconds for the smoke light to come on then switching the power on 100 seconds before the smoke cue should have smoke available on ONE cue. Doesn't work when there are multiple smoke cues without letting the machine cool to room temperature.

Archived