noisey ballast and a stiff jet stream

monkeypuzzle

Hi guys, always a good source of help out here, I have a 1200w followspot on my bench and its ballast is VERY noisy. everything is tight, why does it make so much noise? Would the simplest thing to do be to swap it out?

Secondly, I'm refurbishing a few Jet streams and one has a very stiff fan. Is it possible to strip and rebuild them? I can't find any way in.

Cheers.

What sound does the ballast make?

"Squeal" is usually a failing capacitor.

"Buzz" would be the windings or laminate in the choke/transformer coils - might be normal if the windings aren't potted, so compare with another.

A suitable replacement cap is usually easy to find, however the choke/transformer may be more difficult as there's a lot of different types.

What sound does the ballast make?

"Squeal" is usually a failing capacitor.

"Buzz" would be the windings or laminate in the choke/transformer coils - might be normal if the windings aren't potted, so compare with another.

A suitable replacement cap is usually easy to find, however the choke/transformer may be more difficult as there's a lot of different types.

Cheers for the reply, it's making a buzzing, Its a PSL Lancer so I guess getting a new choke might be a little difficult. As a test, I've just put two chunky fibre washers under the back of the choke away from the lamp and this has made a slight difference. any recomendations on supplies of high temperature washers like this that might go on all four? I'll add an extra earth link to keep the chassis electrically connected.

Archived