Another radio mic question. Has anyone used the AT2000 series (Audio T

Bazz339

As per heading. Has anyone used the Audio Technica AT2000 series radio mics?

as per my recent post on the Sennheiser XSW mics.

I am looking for some sensibly priced mics primarily for speech, other suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Baz - please? When you start a topic, think of a question, so we can try to help. If you ask if anyone has used something, what do you actually want to know - and why?

I've used one of the lav pack versions (is that what you are interested in, or the handheld?) It was ok. I took it out of a box, connected it, eq'd it, and put it away at the end of the show. So I'm not sure what I can say. It sounded ok. It didn't play up. The battery didn't run out? Would I buy one? No. I'd personally buy a Sennheiser G3. I've only seen the XSW range at a show, so all I can really say about that is that the lav pack, like the AT, felt a bit plasticky - and not too strong. However, I've never had a person roll on the floor with one in their pocket - so I don't know how fragile they are. The old Sennheise/Trantec cheap range sounded fine, but I broke a few packs changing batteries.

If you have less than £300, I'd suggest they'll both be perfectly fine if you look after them - but they're too new or just not popular enough for people to have formed strong opinion yet. The musical instrument shops like them because they're cheap, and nobody on the net has moaned about the sound.

So - what features are important to you? Tell us what your application is, and maybe people will find positives or negatives for your use. Few radio systems actually sound bad or are unreliable. They usually break, crack, connectors come loose, displays don't like sweat, don't exist nicely with others, or eat batteries, or don't have a critical feature that's no obvious. Like having or NOT having a mute (critical for some users, an annoyance for others)or using expensive or tricky to find connectors, unusual aerial connectors etc.

The AT2000 series really isn't that new - the 2000a is, but it's predecessor has been around a while. One slight irritation is that if you go for the Ch70 set, it will come with 10 preset frequencies - but only 4 will be in the licence free range. And the facility for automatically selecting an interference free frequency doesn't opt preferentially for a legal slot.

Baz - please? When you start a topic, think of a question, so we can try to help. If you ask if anyone has used something, what do you actually want to know - and why?

Thank you for the replies, I asked the same question about the XSW radio mics and got useful answers, there is no point in asking detailed questions if no-one has used the units.

For anyone who has used them:

Was reception reliable without drop outs?

What was the distance between TX and RX, I am looking for maybe 25M near line of sight. Were they being used with the supplied aerials or remote aerials?

Do you know if they switched on and off silently?

I did not specify whether tie clip or hand held because both are of interest.

Thanks

Was reception reliable without drop outs? - Yes, but distance to the receiver was less than 7m.

What was the distance between TX and RX, I am looking for maybe 25M near line of sight. Were they being used with the supplied aerials or remote aerials? supplied aerials

Do you know if they switched on and off silently? can't say - always plug in and out with the channel muted.

As for range - I doubt that you'll find much difference there between makes. It's usually walking into a null that causes a dropout, and a few extra microvolts at the receiver input won't make a huge difference.

There is always a point in asking detailed questions - because you're hoping for useful advice. Iffy questions rarely generate useful answers. It also encourages members to answer tongue in cheek - which are responses we often remove because although we have to smile, they're not really helpful. In the other topic you asked if anyone had used the Sennheisers, and got the answer "yes". Very accurate, but not really useful.

The Blue Room has been going for over ten years and I think we've become less tolerant in this time, which is a shame, but the longer term members do tend to say to themselves "oh no, here we go again" - which probably explains the somewhat short responses you get. Most forums are designed for 'drive-by' solutions, but the BR isn't. It's a kind of group of loose friends, and newcomers, while welcome, need to adopt a style that fits. That probably sounds strange, but if people want help, they need to conform a bit to get it.

Although relatively new to this forum I am not new to the business or to fora of the this type.

I am surprised at being taken to task publicly for asking a question on specific items of sound equipment in a sound forum.

HI I use one now and again mainly for speach they are a little thin sounding but a bit of eq,ing gets this ok. never had a problem goob battery life, the odd singer has also used it ok, longest distance large function room, there you have it.ok for the £££.

Archived