Zero88 Sirius 24/48

Gottark

I'm looking to get a cheap personal desk and came across a couple of Sirius 24 and 48's. I was wondering how easy it is to program intelligent lights. I use a Pearl Expert at work so basically is it possible to create shapes, and save colour and gobo 'patches' using the Zero 88? If so a quick example of how I could do that would be great.

I currently have 6 scanners, a couple of moving heads and a number of parcans running through a demux48.

Thanks in advance.

I am by no means an expert on this matter but the Sirius is a very old desk. The last time I saw one of these was about 15 years ago. The later versions did have DMX but this really is a generic fixture desk and not at all good for MLs. You will have to control each attribute via the faders and I would imagine run out of channels very very quickly! Really and truly this is an analogue 0-10v desk and nothing more (with a retro fit DMX controller in the later models)

I agree with pdherring! The Sirius while a great robust little desk it is really for generic fixtures

I have ran intelligent fixtures through submasters before (on an LBX) its not pretty and it requires lots of concentration

But if this is the way you want to do it! Good Luck!

I would suggest mirroring as your fixtures so as to reduce the amount of DMX channels required

If you give us an idea of the price you want to spend then we maybe able to advise better. As said above the Sirius was a great work horse back in the day but seriously outdated now. I have done MLs via subs before but on a desk that supported more than 48 channels. You really want something that has personalties for your lamps. Maybe a software based solution is the way forward, something with a playback wing maybe.

If you give us an idea of the price you want to spend then we maybe able to advise better. As said above the Sirius was a great work horse back in the day but seriously outdated now. I have done MLs via subs before but on a desk that supported more than 48 channels. You really want something that has personalties for your lamps. Maybe a software based solution is the way forward, something with a playback wing maybe.

Unfortunately I don't have a massive budget, which is why the Sirius caught my eye as they're going really cheaply... Let's say about £200 which probably doesn't open up many options.

It's almost a typical response recently but have you thought of a USB-DMX device? Would give you the ability to have palettes and and create basic shapes as necessary.

It saves having a big desk to carry around.

You could even get a TitanOne so its the same software you are used to with your expert at work. It would set you back £40-70 and last you.

Gordon

I did not realise Avolites offered that... May well be worth looking into.

Am I right in thinking that without the Titan usb to DMX dongle I would need to buy a license in order for it to work?

Also, would the software be able to be controlled from a USB keyboard? I have a Korg nano key lying around somewhere...

Very worth looking in to.

The Titan software is the only thing the titan one will work with I believe (and visa versa). Emma is on blueroom so she may well pop up and fill you in on the rest, the titanmobile is the next step up where you get an avolites surface to control the software from. It's more of an investment but you get 4 universes of control out of it so of course the functionality is MASSIVELY increased from the Sirius you were looking at.

Aslong as you have a laptop you trust to run on a show without it doing an antivirus scan or shutting down then your sorted.

The Sirius isn't really a suitable desk for fixtures as others have said. It has no concept of LTP control or of fixture profiles so would be a real pain to run movers on.

I happen to have a Celco Navigator going spare, which was one of the earlier moving light control desks. It doesn't have fixture profiles, but it does understand both HTP and LTP control, is fully configurable, and it uses wheels not faders for all the channel controls.

PM me if you're interested - we can probably negotiate around your budget figure.

Sorry for being slightly salesy here - but I may just have something that could help the OP out!

Regards,

Jason

... Celco Navigator .... It doesn't have fixture profiles

Label printer :D

Granted, this only works if you use a very limited number of different fixtures, but if you're using a navigator this is likely. You need 2 lines of labels per fixture if they have more than 12 channels....

You'd go around the twist before you get a Sirius 24/48 desk to do any amount of scanners and movers, it is basically built for generics only. The Zero 88 frog range (Fat Frog or above) will do generics and movers but is a bit above your price range, a fat frog on ebay at the moment is for sale at £850 (plus collection from Suffolk).

The other options are as others have said use a PC, otherwise hire/borrow a desk when needed.

For this sort of purpose I would strongly recommend a TitanOne. While I am not sure its capable for control from a keyboard, on a budget, is a fantastic controller, especially if you are already familiar with the Expert.

I did a short review of the TitanOne after we got it TitanOne Review

I would advise giving avo a ring if you want more information but it is well worth a look into!

SJ

Archived