Festivals

gleek96

Hey, so I'm 16 and study technical theatre at the brit school so I know what im talking about. im not one of these kids who just thinks its cool to work at a festival. Basically, I wanna know how I would be able to get to work backstage at one of the big festivals this year. I'm not sure if I go through the festivals website or if I am old enough to be able to do it, so anything you can say to help me will be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks guys

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's highly unlikely that anyone will want to engage your services on a large festival, but as a starting point I'd say approach the supplier(s) responsible for whatever it is you want to do, and to the company providing local crew. It's worth a try if nothing else.

Hey, so I'm 16 and study technical theatre at the brit school so I know what im talking about.

I remember the one time when I had a BRIT school 'graduate' ask me for a 16A M-M 'adaptor' after they'd ran a cable in the wrong way...</cynic>. The depth of knowledge required to work confidently in the real world is far greater than what you will learn at somewhere like the BRIT school, especially when you start considering large-scale arena or outdoor festival type work. In the grand scheme of things you probably don't at all know what you're talking about - sorry to put it so bluntly, but the quicker you recognise that the easier a time you will have finding work and opportunities to learn in the industry.

Wit the vast majority of work at festivals, you would not be working "for the festival" but for a company subcontracted by the festival staff to provide whatever they happen to be good at.

Your best bet is to try and find a company that provides crew to a festival, and get work with them. Your age does however limit your usefulness, from an employment and insurance perspective.

1st thing would be to tone down the "I know what I'm on about " attitude as it won't get you anywhere. I, for one would reject any application with that attitude as I wouldn't want people like that on site.

At 16 you may struggle to get work due to insurance issues.

Your best bet would be to contact the suppliers to the events, but you would have to have a good reason for them to pick you over their tried and trusted crew.

the usual route would be to be on the hire companies books and let them choose where they want to place you.

Maybe your tutors have contacts in the industry who can assist you?

I think some festivals actively recruit volunteers, but be prepared to help in anyway that suits the organization rather than for you.

Thanks, I didn't mean it in a big headed way about going to the BRIT school, I just meant I wasn't some random guy who had no clue what he was doing. and yeh that person sounds like an absolute idiot, but I have had experience not only locally, but in west end theatres and helping with get-ins at the royal albert hall once before as well so I dont think I'd be as stupid. But thanks for the heads up :)

You are 16 which makes you a "Young Person" in the meaning of the H&S Act, so you will have problems, . Also from a child protection point of view you are a child and need appropriate supervision. Unless you are prepared to do box pushing at a minor event you are over playing you hand.

Look at Broadstairs, Sidmouth and Whitby festivals. These run on volunteer labour and certainly Whitby used to accept volunteers under 18.

At 16 be satisfied with being a runner or gofer for a department, be nice to know and make good tea. Then at 17 you may get invited to assist and at 18 you might get a job of your own.

In the first hour you will find 55 minutes of things that you don't know about or can't do.

In the first hour you will find 55 minutes of things that you don't know about or can't do.

Very much this.

I've been doing this job for over 20 years now and I still learn new things on pretty much every job I do.

Chief LX at a big festival may be on here watching and may say "Yes I'll try you" BUT as a junior gofer not as programmer/board op for main stage.

On your first gig 55 minutes per hour will be new to you after ten years this will change to 5 minutes per hour.

I would say its the most things. Start small and workyour way up.

I have rejected taking on a number of different people because I simply donthave the time to have someone supervise them or teach as they go. Then itsbasically a short term apprenticeship and that is a WHOLE different ball game.

I did small festivals, little regional ones where if you have a chat they cangive you a few jobs to do and you dont cost them hundreds of thousands if youscrew something up.

As Im sure you'll be glad to know, after all this, it has just occurred to me that I'm friends with the event manager of a local festival to me. Yes, I'm a fool. However, if that chief LX is still out there thinking 'I want him' then I wouldn't complain.

As Im sure you'll be glad to know, after all this, it has just occurred to me that I'm friends with the event manager of a local festival to me. Yes, I'm a fool. However, if that chief LX is still out there thinking 'I want him' then I wouldn't complain.

You will probably get a much wider range of experiences at a small local festival. Working a big festival is not as much fun as it might look from the outside.

Why not go to a couple of festivals and introduce yourself to some lampy types there? Look for stages that run late, club tents are an easy beast. Introduce yourself during the day and see if maybe someone'll let you have a go on their desk for some of the evening. I've got to say, having a young keen person who wants to take over the board (under my supervision of course) for a an hour or two during a 10 hour club tent shift would be welcome indeed! I think as you've read previously insurance for a firm would probably be prohibitive but as a paying festival goer you can wander as you please. Make sure to hand your details over to all of the folks you meet, plus you get to enjoy the festival from the fun end a bit first :-)

Worked for me!

If you look in the jobs section of this forum last week someone advertised for work experience places on a smaller, but still large, festival that would likely open more opportunities than a monster festival like V or Glasto.

At 16 most of the time you will be a burden to the crew not a help, because there are jobs you cannot do, and you need looking after. So you will have to prove your worth and keep people happy (make tea is a good first step).

This is another reason that the smaller festivals will be easier to get into, they are lower pressure environments. Beyonce's tour manager might have comments on why a 16 yr old boy is in his way, whereas smaller bands are more likely to be accommodating and more likely to be useful contacts for future work.

Archived