What was that follow spot?

ojc123

I went to see Les Miserables yesterday in London. I'd finally given in and wanted to see what the fuss is about. Obviously very popular and a good show, but I still don't see what all the fuss is about. Loved the set, lighting and sound though. Javert's suicide was a brilliant bit of theatre and the lighting effect was inspirational.

They had follow spots which were very subtle and gave a beautiful effect. They looked like a smaller version of a WW2 searchlight. Can anyone tell me what type of fixture it was? Is there is a smaller version?

I've tried to Google but it's hard when one doesn't know what to search for.

David Hersey is the original Lighting Designer for 'Les Miserables' and used the DHA Digital Beamlight as a follow spot for many of his shows, so could be that.

I think that they use a lamp similar to an R&V, a 24V 500W crown silvered lamp.

One of the models had a scroller fitted to the front.

Les Mis at the Queens uses R&V beamlights as followspots. I have to admit to a fondness for beamlight followspots - they have a beautiful subtlety and softness (in terms of the general quality of their light, not just the edge of the beam) to them when used well.

Wise words. Sorry about that, I never gave it a thought. If a Moderator would add that to the topic title that would be helpful.

Or you could edit your original message to remove that which shouldn't be there.

Cheers

Gerry

Or you could edit your original message to remove that which shouldn't be there.

Probably not possible at this stage due to the time-out on editing posts.

Wasn't aware there was a time out.

How long is the time out?

Cheers

Gerry

They looked like a smaller version of a WW2 searchlight.

The first theatre I ever witnessed used these exact fixtures as followspots. The (then) beautiful Brooklands Bowl in New Plymouth. The followspots were at the back of the natural amphitheatre. They worked a treat, with the op having gels about two foot square, hung on the front of the lamp, changed manually. Movement by cranking handles. Carbon arc. Fabulous.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8151/7464968728_3cd397db0c_z.jpg

The Seekers concert, Bowl of Brooklands (February 1968). credit.

Well we know best for next time. Now of to see Zero Dark Thirty, so don't tell me if anyone dies in that!

As Stephen Fry said at the BAFTAs last night

I went to see "Zero Dark Thirty" not knowing quite what to expect, having not seen the previous 29 episodes in the "Zero Dark" franchise...

Archived