Portable SD recorder

soundspider

Hi,

Had a search around for this but couldn't find exactly what I was looking at, so hoping for some advice. I need a portable recorder, preferably with SD card rather than micro SD (but I could live with that), with line inputs (mics are unnecessary as it will get signal from a mixing desk) and the ability to listen to the recording with earphones/headphones while recording. I've been using the American Audio Pocket Record up till now, which is great, but you can't listen while recording. Mains power would be essential too, either with dedicated PSU or USB with a mains adaptor (that's how I power the Pocket Record). Oh, and preferably cheap - the Pocket Record is around £70, wouldn't want to go much above £100, but that might be unrealistic.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Alan

Zoom z4n will do everything you want, but has mics as well, not that you have to use them though. Budget wise I don't think you can afford the z4n but maybe a lower model? In my opinion the money would be well worth it.

Hi Pete - yeah, its a little out of budget, but had a look at the the Zoom H2n, which seemed pretty good, although didn't seem to have a line only option, just very big on its variety of microphone options, so wasn't sure if that would work or not. Its certainly more in my budget but does it do all I want it to? Anyone got one that could answer that?

Hi Pete - yeah, its a little out of budget, but had a look at the the Zoom H2n, which seemed pretty good, although didn't seem to have a line only option, just very big on its variety of microphone options, so wasn't sure if that would work or not. Its certainly more in my budget but does it do all I want it to? Anyone got one that could answer that?

It does have a line-in, a single 3.5mm stereo jack, mind. But that's the best you're likely to see at the budget end.

I have a Tascam DR40 (won it from the lovely folks at Canford :D ) which has a pair of line inputs, records to SD, can be powered by USB and can feed headphones. It's cheaper than the Zoom but still does a great job.

Both that Tascam and the H4n have smaller (cheaper) siblings that might be worth investigating too.

It does have a line-in, a single 3.5mm stereo jack, mind. But that's the best you're likely to see at the budget end.

XLR's accept jacks as well, giving you either 3.5mm 1/4" jack, XLR inputs or the front mice as well. In fact you can record from the 2 XLR/Jack inputs and the onboard mic at the same time giving you 4 channels. I wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t throw the 3.5mm jack instead of the onboard mics but I haven't tried this.

It really is a great piece of kit.

XLR's accept jacks as well, giving you either 3.5mm 1/4" jack, XLR inputs or the front mice as well......

That's the more expensive H4n not the H2n. I must admit, I hadn't realised that it can record on 4 channel at once - I may have to get one, thanks!

Archived