Follow spot tips

James Gardner

Practice. Pick a small object in the room, aim, and see where you hit. If the spot has sights, use them. If not, see if the spot has a line you can use as a reference. In rifle shooting this is called "zeroing" - every rifle is different. Same for followspots!!

If you're followspotting someone walking, open up the beam a little (iris out) and try to keep ahead of them, so they're walking into the light, not out of it.

Listen for your cues, if dealing with multiple characters get pictures of them in costume as a reference.

Oh, and PRACTICE!!!

Never, ever, ghost - opening up a little to 'find' the beam. It's really tacky. remember that if the person goes up or downstage, you need to iris in or out to keep the circle the same size. If there are two of you, you must work as a team for blackouts and overlaps. Very easy to stare at your own beam and not notice the edge cuts across somebody else's face. Whatever you do don't let the turn walk out of the beam - they notice!

If the spot has sights, use them.

And if it doesn't then they are really easy to make using a pair of pliers and a wire coat hanger. I carry a set around in my bag when I'm going to be spotting just incase the venues hasn't got them.

If the spot has sights, use them.

And if it doesn't then they are really easy to make using a pair of pliers and a wire coat hanger. I carry a set around in my bag when I'm going to be spotting just incase the venues hasn't got them.

+1 to that, I have a set now too.

If you have access to the spots and some time, get your balance right. If you are holding that spot of a long time, your arms will get tired if you are having to fight it. But DO NOT adjust it without help or permission! It can be difficult and you can do a good bit of bad if it slips and at the top of a scaff tower? Need a really big hard hat for that, they are heavy!

Also get your stance and position comfortable, (I prefer the spot just about eye level and standing where the yolk is, maybe a little back as I am tall with long arms) adjusting yourself will make the spot bob. Make sure you can adjust the iris and brightness without having to fiddle about, also be happy using the cassette, if you have/need one, the clang of it closing can be heard all around the hall at quiet bits.

All the advice here is fantastic, just be comfortable using the spot and practice getting dead on the money (don't ghost...). Also stay on the money and keep up with the queues and your fellow spotter, you may have to think on your feet very quickly.

Also, make sure you get the spot size right for what they are after, sometimes people want head and shoulders, some want down to the stomach, some want head to toe with 6 inches overlap.

Sounds really complicated with tons of advice from loads of people but its not impossible to get it perfect.

if someone is calling the spots, then do not get tempted to pre empt what they might ask for. there is nothing that gets my back up than spotters thinking they are helping by guessing where to go next. for example if your spotting lead vox, and the guitarist starts shredding a solo - if your not cued to pick them up - dont.

As you're spotting from a scaff tower it helps to be aware of how un-sturdy they are. I'm not saying they're dangerous, or will collapse or anything, but if you have the lighting desk as well as the spots up there then whenever the desk op moves, or coughs, or has a drink of water or whatever then your spot will shake. I have this problem every year at College, and there isn't really a solution except to have no more people than necessary up the tower, and make sure then if there is a spot cue without frost in it; then everyone has to stay as still as possible.

When you're spotting instead of just looking at the person you're spotting try looking at their shadow within the light on the floor/set.

This will give you a much better idea of how much they can move about, you want to make sure that your spot is tight enough to light the performer rather than the whole set but wide enough that if they make a sudden, unanticipated movement you have enough of a buffer to react.

Find a comfortable position to operate your spot that allows you to cover the whole stage without changing position, the followspot is only as smooth as its operator and if you're stood at the back like a navy gunner running all over the place then your spot is going to be jumping around with every step you make.

Learn your cues, if the comms go down the LD will still be relying on you to do your job and keep the right people lit.

Don't ever think that it's safe to lock off your spot in order to have a drink/roll a fag just because the performer stands still for 20 mins every night at this point in the show. The second you do that they WILL move. I have worked with spot ops that have done this, it's embarrassing and reflects badly on the entire crew.

I'd echo what everyone has said, make sure your comfortable and keep concentration. Also if you have 2 spots on the same person use coms and one person count down the fades, it look so much nicer than one going out then the other. If you haven't got sights, some of the spots I work with have small holes drilled in them which you can line up with landmarks, or in some cases a chart on a wall/floor helps with the really tricky pickups from black. Don't just go drilling holes in spots though, make sure you check with whoever owns them before hand and see if they are happy with it.

Alex

Don't ever think that it's safe to lock off your spot in order to have a drink/roll a fag just because the performer stands still for 20 mins every night at this point in the show. The second you do that they WILL move.

Well said, and they move surprisingly quickly at that...

As you're spotting from a scaff tower it helps to be aware of how un-sturdy they are. I'm not saying they're dangerous, or will collapse or anything, but if you have the lighting desk as well as the spots up there then whenever the desk op moves, or coughs, or has a drink of water or whatever then your spot will shake. I have this problem every year at College, and there isn't really a solution ......

There are several solutions. Another tower. Raised dais for the desk and desk op.

I've been (as an audience member) to one school where they put FS, desk and the noise boy up the same tower. The FS op had a nightmare holding the beam still and couldn't swing to cover the SL entrance without the lighting op having to duck! Hazardous or what.

Archived