Flare Audio

UVAUDIO

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

So, a little late in the day, but who listened to the Flare Audio kit at Plasa the other week?

Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to, and the stand was always too busy to get to to get some ideas of pricing.

But I just couldn't keep my eyes off some of that kit. The SB18C in particular just seemed unworldly in it's form factor and stated abilities. An 18" sub that's less than a foot deep, and weighs under 25kg!!! Surely too good to be true - has anyone actually heard/tried these?

Net Weight: 23.5kg

Dimensions: 513mm x 513mm x 261mm

Components: 1 x 18"

Frequency Response: 18Hz – 2KHz

Power Handling: 1200 watts RMS

Construction: Birch ply and steel plate

Sensitivity: 105dB

I would like to see those specifications properly qualified.

Without prejudice to their products, I would suggest leaving off -3dB points and quoting a frequency response that goes beyond the acceptable coverage angle of an 18" driver is at best naïve and at worse misleading.

So, a little late in the day, but who listened to the Flare Audio kit at Plasa the other week?

Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to, and the stand was always too busy to get to to get some ideas of pricing.

But I just couldn't keep my eyes off some of that kit. The SB18C in particular just seemed unworldly in it's form factor and stated abilities. An 18" sub that's less than a foot deep, and weighs under 25kg!!! Surely too good to be true - has anyone actually heard/tried these?

Net Weight: 23.5kg

Dimensions: 513mm x 513mm x 261mm

Components: 1 x 18"

Frequency Response: 18Hz – 2KHz

Power Handling: 1200 watts RMS

Construction: Birch ply and steel plate

Until I've seen some proper test measurements done I'll take those specs with a rather healthy dose of scepticism.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong, but everything I've read/heard about Flare Audio makes me.... curious, at best.

dB what???? dB elephants???

units man!

When talking about speaker sensitivity it can be assumed the units are dBSPL as that is the only unit that applies. What probably should be specified is the measurement weighting, and the frequency (or bandwidth) the sensitivity refers to.

None of those are common specifications though.

Mac

• 2 months later...

Very loud demo just taken place in Brigton Conference centre,with 24 X5 Flare Audio line arrays, and 16 dual 18" bass bins.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd491/splodge360/Flareaudio12xX5flownspeakers.jpg

Orbital Sound were so impressed they have signed up for sole distributor for sales, installs, and theatre show projects of Flare Audio Products

some speakerplans forum members felt that the flat, boring, un-characteristic sound of the speakers was not to their taste, but then I dont like marmite either!.

I think the flat thin speakers will make great hidden speakers for pross, pit rail, and surround sound speakers, so I think Orbital might have stumbled on a good product for their sales customers, and Theatre project

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The Flare product range has impressed us massivly. In months recent the X5 stunned engineers on the (ex Westlife lead man) Shane Filan UK Tour, and is shortly heading out for the Arena Tour of Little Mix, visiting the likes of the O2 which it will fill with ease. Someone wrote on Facebook "throw away your preconceptions about what performance speakers can achieve" - and I think that completely sums it up ...

Have the guys at Orbital done any proper measurements of these things yet? If so, would you be prepared to share them?

The talk of -2dB per double distance and some of the other claims from Flare just seem a tad unbelievable. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

I'm very keen to hear the X5 on this upcoming Arena tour.

Er.. You do know that's the upcoming Little Mix arena tour, right?

I've heard the system playing a cd in a cavernous empty arena. It's certainly impressive for such a small, light system but I'm not quite sure how impressive (don't really have the ears to judge such things).

I'm quite looking forward to hearing it on it's second or third arena tour - I'll be doing my best not to catch any of the show on this first one. ;)

I'm very keen to hear the X5 on this upcoming Arena tour.

Er.. You do know that's the upcoming Little Mix arena tour, right?

They have one acceptable song produced by a non SyCo producer...

Josh

(Without admitting to having listened to any of them)

Archived