RGB LED Bar recommendations

norty303

I'm after some recommendations for budget LED RGB bars (~1 metre length), that I can also use for very low res pixel mapping duties.

So far, the best deal seems to be the Showtec Pixel Bar 12, which have 12x tri-led RGB elements which can all be individually addressed, and they come in around £180 a piece.

Others I've looked at are:

Eurolite LED Bar 252 RGBA, which is cheaper at ~£110, uses 10mm leds (but appear to be well clustered) but seems to only have 4 'elements'.

Varytec Gigabar III, ~£180, has 16 3W tri-led elements, but unfortunately they are paired, so only 8 element resolution.

These will most often be for 'eye candy' duties on stage, but may do a bit of uplighting too.

Is there anything out there that fits the bill for you. Surely you need a bar that uses maybe 100 channels of DMX or some sort of matrix system. Interested to know what is out there if there is such a thing. I would have thought the Chroma Q range, which not cheap, fills the bill, and once you have to buy dozens of bars to make a matrix then mabe the price not so high

Is there anything out there that fits the bill for you.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but yes, the aforementioned Showtec Pixel Bar 12 does.

I'm asking if anyone has any other suggestions that I may have missed that may present similar functionality in the same sort of price bracket.

Obviously the higher resolution the better, but I'm realistic about what I can afford.

A dedicated matrix unit doesn't really help if they need to be pressed into traditional 'LED bar' duties for uplighting and front lighting.

I will not be buying 'dozens of bars' if that helps.

I have 25 pixel 12's that work a treat. bright enough to work as small venue blinders and able to pixel map and uplight with them.

I highly reccomend them.

It does depend on your venue though. Small 50-150 seaters they could be overkill on full brightness so the 252/2 battens may be better. It saves money which means you could buy more.

Thanks Gordontech. Yes, I'd likened them to a bit of a poor mans Sunstrip RGB in my head.

I do all sorts of work - clubs, small festivals, private parties, etc so they need to be a bit versatile in what they get turned to. Too bright insn't a problem, they can be turned down! ;) :)

Archived