Sunstrip Active issues

mark_s

I have a handful of Sunstrips on a show at the minute, and two now have one cell each which is permanently on - won't dim, can't be controlled, etc. Both units developed the fault within a few days of each other, overnight, with no other problems (no blown lamps or anything, and the other cells behave entirely). They're in a tent so damp is a constant issue, but I can't see how that would cause this particular problem.

I haven't had them apart yet due to lack of time, but is there anything specific that I should be looking for (other than the obvious causes of blown triac/etc)? And more importantly, is there anything preventative that I can do to ensure that my remaining units remain healthy? Is this a known issue with Sunstrips?

:unsure:

This is really common.

It's the triacs. You can order them from RS off the shelf.

If nobody steps in before me I will post the part number for you when I next have it to hand, it's good to keep some spares.

This is really common.

It's the triacs. You can order them from RS off the shelf.

If nobody steps in before me I will post the part number for you when I next have it to hand, it's good to keep some spares.

I've bought them from a seller on ebay, 99p for two, a few times - because they're used in washing machines etc. It's straightforward enough to swap them, too - even I, with my less than elegant soldering skills, can manage it :-)

Archived