Phono to Ariel convertor

Chris_R

Hi,

I have an old tv with only an ariel in, and I have a graphics card with SVid and Phono (by using an adaptor) out. Is there anyway I can connect the computer to the tv to watch DVDs etc?

I've seen a phono to ariel convertor lead, is it as simple as this?

Sorry if this topic has come up before, I did a search but found nothing.

Cheers!

Nope. The phono on the graphics card will be spitting out composite video, and the aerial socket on your telly will be looking for a modulated UHF signal - chalk and cheese.

The only way you'd be able to get something from your PC to that particular telly would be by sending the video signal through some sort of RF modulator.

I've seen a phono to ariel convertor lead, is it as simple as this?

No. What you need is an RF modulator, it modulates the signal onto a UHF carrier wave (I think) and the TV sees it as a TV channel.

EDIT: Damn you Gareth!

EDIT: Like one of these

Maplin Code: L14AQ if deeplink doesn't work

Thanks very much, It seemed a bit simple!

I'll look in to one of those modulators.

Cheers

Lots of VCRs have a "composite video in" (usually a phono, SCART, or BNC socket), and spit out a modulated UHF signal for your telly. So, if you've got a video close by plug it into that...

EDIT: Some copy-protected DVDs will intentionally bugger up the composite video signal. Most TVs will still show the picture, but a VCR may not. If you can see your PC desktop on the TV, but DVDs fail that's the reason. Google for "macrovision" for more information.

Cheers,

Marc

yeah nackered old video players (which generally fail mechanically before they go electronically) make great MUX \ DeMUX's (we use them as demux's a lot owing to having a modulated AV network round the building)

Thanks very much, It seemed a bit simple!

I'll look in to one of those modulators.

Cheers

EDIT: Some copy-protected DVDs will intentionally bugger up the composite video signal. Most TVs will still show the picture, but a VCR may not. [

Videos have had all sorts of so called copy protection since the early 80's - Star Trek the Movie was the first one I came accross. The common trick, before Macrovision improved the system, was simply to insert a 1v spike just after the colour burst. The tv sets of the day simply ignored it and you got a decent picture - if you tried to re-record a 'protected' video, the spike would convince the auto gain on the video recorder that there was too much signal, so it reduced it, taking the brightness right down. The sync pulse would get reduced a bit too, and then you'd lose lock and the picture would roll. Macrovision does this distortion of the waveform much more neatly. In general, vision mixers with input sync strip off the incoming sync pulses, then generate new ones at the output - much to the annoyance of the copyright protection companies.

Archived