Roland M200i

Matt Riley

I had a very short play on one at InterBEE a couple of weeks ago.

It is true that without the iPad (I guess they'll add software/hardware interfaces for Android at some point), there is only a very small LED window from which to work.

It seemed OK in fact, but this is a desk designed to be run with a tablet / remote control, and the LED window for emergency use (and possibly software patches etc).

There's only one REAC port on the back, so of you want to run more than the onboard preamps and record out to Sonar/REAC hardware, the bill is going to get expensive fast.

The software was far from finished when I tried it, but it seemed intuitive and easy to use.

Unlike the other REAC products I've seen, this desk will be manufactured in Taiwan. But the pre-production models Roland had at the show seemed as solid and well bolted together as usual.

For corporate / event work this looks very interesting in terms of functionality and price, of course.

We live in interesting times!

• 1 year later...
I agree about the Ipad being the only "simple" way of controlling it but at least all you have to change is a cable. One thing the REAC driver will now work as a standard ASIO driver the latency is high so not for studio but it works fine live I use it with Cockos Reaper and so far so good. G

• 1 month later...

I stand to be corrected but the way I read it it does not have direct multitrack recording, you have to buy a REAC to MADI bridge and a MADI soundcard

or use the R-1000

Some of us have not got £6-7k to throw at it, besides Sonar does not work on a Mac. Would be great if Roland wrote a driver so you could use Protools or Logic

Roland REAC Driver 2.0 is ASIO compatible and works with Reaper, for example....... Free Download for most DAW's on PC that ASIO compatible now. Seen it working with Reaper a treat.....

Roland seem to have really risen to the challenge of the X32 in a big way ... X32 pricepoint (£2.5k?)

Behringer said "game changer".

Perhaps they have.

What R need to do now is adjust the price point of the REAC stagebox and their personal mixing system. Then we'll have a challenge on our hands :)

New price points from October 2012..... M-200i £1699 + vat (including wireless dongle, iPad app is free), S-1608 Stage Box £1099 + vat.....

Archived