Sunstrip Active MKII

smyles

Not used the originals so can't say for definite about the differences.

I bought 4 of these a few weeks ago but have yet to try more than 1 at a time as I only possess 1 powercon lead and have yet to find a few minutes to make up some powercon link cables. These were supplied without the powercon inlet cables and I've had to get my (UK!) supplier to argue with Highlite about them. They also only had 50w lamps in rather than 75w. Also no user manual.

The stand-alone programmes are ok, bit of a pain to change settings as the 'mode protection' basically means having to sit holding the mode button for a few seconds each time before it will let you change things. Auto mode runs through the stand-alone programmes but doesn't allow you to reduce the intensity from full brightness. And I've not yet discovered a master/slave mode which could be useful. As they're only 10 channel DMX there's no way of accessing the inbuilt programmes from DMX either.

And as for changing the logo in the display, no idea of how to do that. Especially as the display is just 4 x 7segment LEDs...

But good value units.

To be honest I welcome the mode protection, it's far too easy to knock the buttons on the Mk 1. All our units now are lamped with 50w lamps, you can hardly tell the difference and they last longer and draw less current (and rarely take out the triac when the lamp pops, something very early mk1's were prone to do)

• 2 months later...
I rang up Blue Aran to see what this Active Line version was about. Their lighting guy has ended up updating the item description on the website to be Mk2 (and added the 1-point mounting accessory to it). Come April (when they get more in) I will be getting one.

Archived