Mixer Flightcases

Suzette

I've just purchased a A&H GL2200 432 mixer, but no flightcase as yet ... we have the cardboard packing box to use for a while!! But we will need a flightcase before the summer when we have to take desk to other venues.

The cost of the case from "proper suppliers" is about £500 - I've seen a case on a website - www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk - for £176... but should I buy cheap and worry that the case won't protect the desk as well?

The picture on the website has only one handle on the front but the company has emailed me to say it has 2 handles on either side (I was concerned about lifting it and making sure it had handles in the right place for a 2 person lift).

Has anyone else bought from this company? Recommend or not ? Or is there somewhere else I can buy from that are a reasonable price?

Thanks

Hi Suzette,

Lucky you - a brand new desk! I'd try Buster Cases. I see Duncan (Owner) there at Plasa every year and they do really good quality cases. For something well-known like a 2200, I'd imagine they'd have all the dimensions on file which would save time and cost.

Their number is 0161 761 2040.

If you have space in your truck and can accommodate a slighly bigger case, I'd suggest you think about having the case built with a dog box in. This is a covered space at the back with a hinged lid. It's to keep all the connectors hidden from prying fingers, and you can leave the multicore fan-out in it. It's also useful for sticking unexpected bits of outboard kit on during a show (CD players, comps etc.).

All the best,

Pete.

I got a case for a slightly larger desk from flightcase warehouse - they were great and I got this one from them

http://www.eastanglianradio.com/_wp_generated/wp66c594a8.jpg

Think it was £300 and a bit

good people to deal with - I was very please as it's well made and they did all the mods I asked for

I have some cases from flightcasewarehouse but I recently bought a couple of new mixer cases amptown. They were not exactly cheep but were fantasticly solid rugged cases and in my opinion worth the extra.

I have some cases from flightcasewarehouse but I recently bought a couple of new mixer cases amptown. They were not exactly cheep but were fantasticly solid rugged cases and in my opinion worth the extra.

I have had several custom cases made by Amptown Cases and I have to say they are absolutely fantastic. I admit they are not the cheapest (but they are good value for what you get), but when you pay a lot money for the kit thats in them, I don't think you should compromise on the protection for it!

I too buy all my flight cases from the Flight case warehouse.The oldest being a Fat Frog case about 4 years now and still in good order. The only problem is that the desk seems to turn itself round in the case, in the van cos ewehn I open it up its facing the wrong way!

Simon :)

I really don't see a point in skimping on flight cases, after all you spend all that money on a piece of kit and then don't do all you can to protect it, makes no sense.

We have a mixture of Amptown and Packhorse (mainly Packhorse) and they are both good case manufacturers. Although the Packhorse cases are quite expensive you certainly get what you pay for, we have some packhorse cases that are over 15 years old and still going strong. Believe me our cases get some hammer!

Whenever buying new equipment we always factor the cost of case at the time of purchase. I guess a lot depends on how much use and hammer the case is going to take, but if your touring or hiring equipment then you really can't skimp, if you want your equipment to last any significant amount of time.

by the way this is not a slur on any case manufacturer, really all I am saying is you get what you pay for!

Thanks for all the replies - I did try and get a case at the same time as the desk, but the money wasn't available and, to be honest, we don't really need it yet as the desk stays in the control room most of the year. There are just a couple of times when it gets a holiday and goes to a new venue for a week or so.

Because the flightcase won't get much of a bashing and the desk certainly won't be touring for weeks on end, I was looking for a case that is substantial enough to protect the desk but doesn't need to be rugged enough to put up with going in and out of a truck every week.

Looks like flightcase warehouse are OK so I'll probably go with one from them.

DON'T BUY THE OFF THE SHELF GL2200 CASE well unless you want a case it doesn't fit into, well by that I mean it fits into it but you have to take it out the case to access the main outputs :stagecrew: As people have said in this thread don't skimp on your cases if you want your kit to survive, you get what you pay for! Cheap flight cases are exactly what they say on the tin, you can get some excellent 2u rack cases for £50 (I have many) but they don't offer the same level of protection of a 2u rack case costing £165 (only have 3 of these) If you are going to look after your own desk in its case then fine get a cheap one, but if you are going to hire it out to people who won't be as careful then get a better case...

slim...

Archived