BBC Radio 2 live in concert. Florence.

pete10uk

Just listening to Florence and the machine on bbc2. I've always said that id'd love to engineer Florence with that powerfully voice but this concert sounds like someone placed an iPhone at the back of the room. Is this someone's idea of live sound or has someone just been sacked. It's awfull.?

I've edited the topic to say BBC, not NBC - and I added radio - after trying to find it on BBC2!

It's Radio 2 in Concert - Florence and the machine didn't work in their search.

I figured a good try of my Panasonic clever DVD/internet doobrie with lots of speakers and sub.

It's quite clean I felt, bass end nice and tight - balance seemed a bit odd, too much BVs, and the main vocal a bit lower than I would have preferred, but maybe that's just my preference. Audience sounded good - a nice live sound. The kick at 16:20 was a bit dull - but that could have been intentional. If I turned the centre speaker up a bit, this seemed to contain the missing main vocal - but I don't usually have it set that high because on everything else it sounds a little too in your face. Certainly didn't sound like it was recorded with an iPhone to me. So for me, just a bit down on the main vocal, and that's about it.

I've done some work at BBC Radio Theatre (which is where I guess this was done?)

Either way though, for something like this, it wouldn't be the bands FOH Engineer mixing. It would be one of the BBCs preferred engineers. The label would of course have had someone in the room with him/her though...

The bands FOH engineer would have been at FOH, mixing for the live audience...

Last one of these I did was Keane, and I was impressed with the quality of the BC mix.

Morning all.

Apologies for the poor post the other night, the concert I was referring to was actually on the red (or other interactive button) on freeview (I thought it was live on BBC2 at the time, but that’s what a couple of beers does for you), and was constantly repeated for the entire of saturday at least.

There didn’t seem to be anything wrong with the FOH mix as everyone including Florence seemed to be enjoying themselves however the mix which was being broadcast was awful, I expected after a song or 2 for it to suddenly appear as the engineer found the air gap but it was the same all the way through, the vocals were defiantly low compared with the albums I have but there was defiantly a levels issue somewhere in the chain.

It very much reminded me of a time I was working for a school on an awards ceremony who forgot to mention the live musical half way through until after the evening had started, they defiantly didn't mention the 8 head sets they were all wearing until they brought me 8 receivers to plug in, I worked with it the best I could but the need to live swap the inputs on the desk and the fact the receivers were blowing out a signal close to boiling, it was clipping all over the place until I realised the receivers were outputting live level even though it clearly stated mic level, the body packs were also set way too high. Once I'd played with the settings for 2.5 songs it sounded ok until someone belted it out but on a 3 song gig it wasn't good, I just wanted to get in to a flight case and have someone push me out the back door.

Just to add a bit more to this, I have just heard a live song on Radio 2 which I believe to be from the same concert, the sound is defiantly OK on this, even if the vocal mix as paulears pointed out is a little quiet, but well within the realms of live sound.

I wonder if it has anything to do with being on the red button, bandwidth or something?

I was listening to a man from the Soundfield Mic company - explaining that the key feature of any multichannel system is the requirement for phase coherence when dropping down to stereo or mono - maybe this gets mangled on the limited bandwidth of the other video stream on the red button? Could well do?

There are often issues with surround downmixing, especially in music environments where the surrounds tend to be used exclusively for ambience. This gives an automatic downmix an artificially distant quality, unless the downmix is biased toward LR.

That said, I'd be surprised if this was mixed in surround... It is a Radio show...

Archived