Component video in to HD15 connector

Shez

Bit of an odd one... I'm trying to connect a (basic and inexpensive) HD media player to a projector. The projector claims to accept YPbPr on its HD15 inputs - it does indeed produce a picture but with what looks a bit like hum bars - a couple of horizontal bands of slight fuzziness that travel very slowly down the picture. It's not a ground loop - the media player is class II and there's nothing else connected to anything.

I've tried it with a broadcast HD monitor with a component input on an HD15 and the same bars appear. I've also tried the player with a flatscreen TV with dedicated component inputs on phonos and the picture is rock solid.

Are there any tricks to getting component working well with devices that only accept it on HD15 (VGA) connectors? I've made the cables up myself (twice, just to make sure); do any other pins need grounding - H or V sync for example that would be used with a VGA signal but not component?

• 3 weeks later...
It sound like mains noise to me. When I worked in OB comms half our life seemed to be trying to stop hum appearing as the geni struggled for whatever reason. That was a long time ago! I was wondering if the building mains is a bit dirty with motors etc running on fridges lifts and such like. Maybe there is some sort of interference working its way back and what you are seeing is some sort of LF beat frequency drifting through?

They will likely be universal inputs so you will need to tell the device what signal to expect on the input. Is there any option on the projector menu to set the input type?

I had to have it on auto as I was running both VGA and component through a switcher to the projectors. Removing the switcher and setting the inputs to component rather than auto made no difference.

The event has been and gone now. My best guess was that it was related to the computers & related kit that were all in close proximity to where I was testing the setup. Switching them off did improve matters. (Mains or airborne noise then). In the actual location, the equipment seemed to perform OK.

Archived