2 x Mac 600 or 4 x Mac300

mattcoomber1

Hi all, first post here so I will start by saying hello, I'm Matt and I am the Technical Manager at Sheringham Little Theatre. I have been given a little bit of spending money and am looking at getting a few movers to add to our current rig. As it stands at the moment, this a generic rig featuring mainly Strand Quartets and Preludes and PAR 64s. We put on a wide variety of events throughout the year including in house produced 10 week rep, Christmas panto and other one nighters including bands and plays. We are only a small 180 seat venue but its a lovely venue to work in. I don't have a lot of money to spend but could afford to get either 2 used MAC 600 washes or 4 used MAC 300 washes. I know these are not the latest in technology but they will do the job of adding a bit more versitility to my rig. What I would like to know is will I be better off with 2 600s or 4 300s? I am thinking the 600s are brighter so would cut through the other lamps a bit better but the 4 300s might just offer that bit more flexibility.

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

If you are running quartets and preludes as the main rig then the 300s will be more than enough. I own 4x300s and have used them on a larger stage that used 1k fresnels and 2k profiles foh and they coped fine with that. Just make sure they are nice and clean and use the genuine msd 250/2 lamps and you will be fine. 4 fixtures is always going to be more versatile than 2. What's your budget out of interest?

I'd agreed with JDLX. 4x 300's will be better than 2x 600's.

Have you included any additional cabling require and servicing in the budget?

Yes, that £1800 is just for the movers, I have a separate budget for the servicing which will be be incorporated into my annual PAT testing. I have been preparing for getting these for a few months so have already put the DMX and power into the rig so now just a case of getting the movers. I have also budgeted for a couple of spare lamps as well.

Thanks

Matt

How long does it take to get delivery from Gearsource, I often look on there but have never bought anything. I suppose it depends on the location?

Matt

Matt - having been to Sheringham and walked passed the theatre many times, I would suggest that you try to borrow a 300 and check that you have enough throw for the beam to work. I considered using some for a production of Nicholas Nickelby in a similar sized venue and on audition - the 300 didn't give me much coverage. The 600 might well fit the bill - but remember the weight of the blessed things!

I'll also play devils' advocate and ask - why a moving colour wash? Would not some decent LED wash's fit the bill? I'm thinking of the Chauvet SlimPAR's that are impressing me at the moment or the ProLight LEDj Alu Tri PAR 64 - they don't move but would give a comparable intensity against Quartets & Preludes perhaps - be cheaper to run and service and for the price, you would possibly get enough units to give a decent coverage?

It completetly depends on the seller. I have ordered some 250 entours off there and they have taken 5 days to arrive, and a projector and it has arrived the next day. They should usually be able to tell you all you need to know if you email them direct.

The reason behind the moving wash was that I could focus on different parts of the stage if needed without the need to manually focus, so for example for panto this year, there are going to be lots of asides in small pools of light and they are never in the same place (that would be too easy :) ) so I figured they would be a bit more flexible. Next time you are in Sheringham, come and say hi :)

Matt

4 of anything is always better than 2. We have 2 250W MSD CMY washes on our foh truss at the Britannia in Yarmouth, and they're not quite enough to cover our 11m wide by 10m deep stage. They can wash the cyc fine, and can provide a lift at the apron - but two and a shortish throw mean I can't cover the apron with them straight on - and have to be crossed at a fairly severe angle. I'd really like another two of them. Two 600s wouldn't be as useful to me.

For about the same money, you could get some LED washes. Many of these now have 3 year guarantees, and are at the stage where they are actually bright, so, bearing in mind the cost of replacement lamps for the discharge versions, and the potential unreliability, personally - with your money to spend, I'd buy LEDs now. A year ago, I wouldn't, but I'm now a bit of a convert.

Thanks for your suggestions, I had never really considered LED to be an option due to the output. Do you have any suggestions of some I can take a look at. The Britannia is a lovely theatre. I will have to pop in and say hello next time I am down that way. I haven't been at Sheringham that long so would be good to try and meet up with some people in the area.

Cheers

You're always welcome - but it's closed up for the winter now - first show end of March. I was in today and the water was turned off already!

There are quite a number of £400-500 fixtures - and that's including the VAT. It was only last year I discovered that the 3W LEDs that are now common are actually very bright! Have a look on the Thomann.de web site. I checked the prices on there, and while doing it found some new fixtures I'd not seen before. A while back we had a tirbute show in who had some of the round, flat face LED washes and I was very impressed - and they were less than 500 quid, and I'd have easily swapped them for the discharge movers. Old Mac 600s still command a fair price, yet they're pretty old fashioned, and most you see advertised have had a hard life.

They look strangely familiar! ;) If you were to decide to look at this particular deal I can assure you they're from a good home where they've been well looked after.

Having said that I agree with the 4 of something is often better than 2 of something school.

Archived