Wi-Fi lamp

Ken Coker

I'm actually quite impressed with these little things - and have one working under DMX control too - not that I've found a good use for it yet -

There's a few things to note - they don't use primary Red / Green / Blue but rather colours that are closer to some of the intermediate colours in the Selador x7 system (an amber-red, lime green, violet blue) which make for much nicer whites at a wide range of colour temperatures.

" It will only be available in Apple stores"

¬.¬

Hope that doesn't mean it will be as useless as Apple TV :o

(Apple TV that gives you access to your movie and video library on your main computer using iTunes - oh, so long as they were bought from iTunes, or you somehow have converted them all to s**ttime using some expensive 3rd party software, 'cos the free apps never really work very well) :angry:

Remotely controlled lamps are soooo cool! My neighbour can switch his garden lights on and off from anywhere in the world, which he did repeatedly when they were installed. Not enough light to read by in my bedroom with the curtains shut, but almost. Just a shame I wasn't in the mood for reading a 11:30PM, we had words the next day....

Remote control lamps that use a dedicated hand held controller (not wi fi) are available from a number of sources.

They usualy give a choice of about 16 colours, several fades or chases, and 6 levels of dimming.

Apart from the novelty value they have some serious uses, including by the disabled who cant reach lightswitches, and when silent switching is required without the noise of a mechanical switch.

Of rather limited use in theatre, but perhaps for novel decorative effects ?

These aren't really wifi either, they have a "bridge" box which connects to the wifi or wired ethernet and passes on the control messages on a different proprietary radio system.

The LIFX lamp I linked to earlier has a "master" lamp which does do wifi, and also passes on the control messages on a different radio system to other "slave" lamps.

These aren't really wifi either, they have a "bridge" box which connects to the wifi or wired ethernet and passes on the control messages on a different proprietary radio system.

The bridge connects ONLY by wired network - so they're not WiFi at all other than 99% of people will plug that into a WiFi router ;)

The control messages between bridge and lamps isn't some odd proprietary system though - it's the open ZigBee LightLink standard and so is compatible with anything else that uses that.

For the web geeks amongst us - the API is actually very very simple ( see http://rsmck.co.uk/hue ) - which makes it easy to integrate with other things.

Archived