Oliver!

PatrickLXdesker

Not sure if anyone on here has done this, I think it's in it's early stages of the tour. But my god its big.

It left the Theatre Royal newcastle on saturday night, well sunday afternoon by the time the lads got finished.

I didnt do the out, think its something with me being too young to worl that long or something, but it was huge.

Automation towers, Bridge, Pallets.

About 15 flying pieces.

At a quick count I saw 30 source 4 revs, 40 source 4's with top hats and scrollers, 40 par cans with top hats and scrollers, 4 5k frezzys, quite a few VL 3000's and some source 4 zooms. Thats only counting what was overhead, on wing booms and the technical boxes. I couldnt see up to the gods but their was a fair few on the bridge up there.

In terms of sound, there were 2 linarays (5 piece) from the truss overhead, another 4 sets of 4 on the boxes then individual speakers here there and everywhere.

I had to go to the top floor to get the rehearsal keyboard, and the rehearsal room was just FULL of deads. I'd say about a quarter of the kit wasnt used, some was spares but simply because its far too big.

Anyone thats got it coming in, enjoy. All the crew are really canny, and the cast actually make an effort with you.

If youre on stage, youll do nothing for 10 minutes, then wont stop for 10 minutes. Great show mind!

• 3 weeks later...

The out time hasn't improved much since Brum then...!

We were I think 3rd in the tour schedule, and I felt the proddy crew were still finding their feet with some of the bigger items with how best to strike them.

Few of us casuals were told that it was going to be a long one, and as such I for one didn't have much down time on the Saturday daytime so was well and truly crackered when we got to 8am Sunday. LX and noise were pretty much done by 5 or 6 as I recall, but we were told to stop and help stage. But I had to cry off at around 9am - as tired as I was I felt more of a danger to everyone had I stayed on. But it was a pm finish for the rest.

It's one of those that really should have 2 shifts if it's going to take that long to break up.

But from what I saw, it was indeed a good show.

I walk past the stage door and loading dock of the Theatre Royal most days, and I've seen a fair few load ins/get outs, and the Oliver set just seemed to take an unusual amount of time - I was taken aback the huge number of cases with 'Unusual' stamped on them (I presume a reference to Unusual Rigging, rather than a general comment on the contents of the case).

• 7 months later...
Followspotted the show for 8 weeks and had a right laugh. Only crew to ever bring us a cake at the end of the run. Cheers nick haha. Ynot, we didn't finish loading the LX truck till 10am due to the fact we had to dismantle most of the pre-rigged overheads to fit them in between our narrow fly floors. We were also 7 crew down on the usual call due to office mis-hap and a freelance carp taken to hospital. Get out ran for 16 hours In the end.

Archived