Ipad remote steup for Magic Q

LXbydesign

Hi Peeps,

Could anybody help me with an idiots guide how to set up Macbook Pro - MagicQ - Ipad/Phone ap.

I have a little wireless router to connect to the Mac. and im using a mini-wing.

I have had a search on here to no avail and because Im not really a computer whizz - when I was reading the magicQ manual, my eyes just glazed over! haha.

Im sure its not really difficult, but I just need a set of 'staright forward' instructions!

Many Thanks

Yes, you need a minimum of hardware such as 2-port node for the networking functions to work. A MagicDMX won't unlock this element, not even the Pro one but a mini-wing should be fine.

Being able to set up a simple network connection is the starting point.

If you do have hardware, you just need to make sure that the MagicQ or Mac is correctly networked with the remote device (iPad) and that they can PING each other, subnet set OK etc. When setting up any networked control, getting the machines to be able to PING each other is the first step before diving into specifics of the control. If each machine can't ping the other successfully, there is no point moving on to the next stage.

There is a setting within MagicQ that allows remote access / accepts incoming connections and the like which may need checking. From memory, it's under the Settings / Network tab which is also where you set the access password if you want one. You probably also should check the IP settings in the MQ software as well as on the host machine, I'm not sure how this differs when not using a real desk but the numbers don't change when you change the OS ones and my preference is to set IPs manually.

Once that's all there, the MQ will appear in the connections and you can connect the remote MQ or remote unit.

• 4 months later...

Ok - is there anyone in or near central London who could set this up for me if I get you a couple of beers. Im so un-pc with computers I hold my hands up and say I do not know how the hell to get it working.

I have pc laptop, mini wing, Ipad / phone and that's it.

Would be VERY grateful.

Ok - is there anyone in or near central London who could set this up for me if I get you a couple of beers. Im so un-pc with computers I hold my hands up and say I do not know how the hell to get it working.

I have pc laptop, mini wing, Ipad / phone and that's it.

Would be VERY grateful.

Right - last night I finally sorted it.

A warning which I was reminded of yesterday on a support phone call, iOS seems to sometimes have issues with 2.x.x.x IP address ranges. If you're struggling to get it to work on the default Art-Net address range with iOS, try changing the console/PC, router and iPhone to something like 192.168.0.x instead and it may just magically start working.

Thought I'd just post that in here in case anyone else ends up here via googling.

A warning which I was reminded of yesterday on a support phone call, iOS seems to sometimes have issues with 2.x.x.x IP address ranges. If you're struggling to get it to work on the default Art-Net address range with iOS, try changing the console/PC, router and iPhone to something like 192.168.0.x instead and it may just magically start working.

Thought I'd just post that in here in case anyone else ends up here via googling.

Thats excatly what mine is on! > ending in 1 actually!

Seemed my biggest *slap round the face* moment was actually not turning the remote control switch setting to ON. Once Id done that - it all kicked in . . .

Archived