Fashion Show Lighting

vinntec

I have a fashion show at our tiny 75 seat amateur theatre next year (with a theatrical show two days later!). I have done my research in BlueRoom, books, and internet and find lots of conflicting advice for this sort of show (which I haven't done for a long time). First the theatre is small and low - the catwalk will be 18" above the floor and lighting is about 12-13 foot above this. This is a sketch of the planned show - Stage Configuration. Most of the seating is at the end of the catwalk, although there are two rows either side of the catwalk at floor level. Thoughts about lighting:

• Only conventional theatrical lanterns will be used - PCs mainly plus profiles and fresnels. Open white so costumes are seen in original colours - or possible slightly blue L281 to get closer to "white"? Do these need to be frosted as well?
  • Lighting on 4 sides probably best option to keep angles and barndooring/shuttering simple.
  • All lanterns on own dimmer as far as possible (36 dimmers available).
  • Side lighting of catwalk from above. To cover full width of catwalk will need a very steep angle so as not to shine in eyes of front row (barn doored to chest level). I could have another one at a better angle which covers up to the middle only but I don't think I have enough lanterns for both.
  • Front lighting at a relatively shallow angle and backlighting similar (up to front of catwalk).
  • Is top lighting as well any use?
  • Colour might be used for preset or possibly on background (once that is decided) if I have anything left.

In my research I saw some alternatives which used front and back lighting only and top lighting plus front lighting only - I can't see how either of these could have worked for the audience either side?

I would appreciate comments from those who do this sort of thing regularly to confirm I am on the right lines, or if I should be considering alternatives.

Thanks - Peter

You're research has been excellent and all the suggestions you've found are a really good place to start.

The only thing I'd change is your colour correction gel: 281 is VERY blue and, as you'll be using your lanterns at 100% most of the time, I'd go with 203 instead, personally. I certainly wouldn't go any deper than 202, but then it's all down to what works for you, so have a play and see how it looks in your space with your lanterns.

If the runway is a thrust style then front light becomes back light as the models turn to go back again. Pick any shade of white and stick to it, dimmers are not essential as most will be at 100% to get full colour temperature. The front row of audience may be celebs (on a local or national scale!) so may be lit with spill from the runway.

No two sources have the same ideas, it's called opinion and design, but once you have provided lots of light for the clothes to look good your design is just as right as anyone else's.

Thanks for the comments so far, very interesting. Most of the examples I have seen on internet or fashion channel get away with a single row of lanterns either side (except very large scale). This would only work if I lit up to the centre of the catwalk (head height) from both sides and did not go as far as the far edge. The usual routine seems to be for the active models to walk down the centre and only use the sides for the return. The extreme DS end might be the exception where they pose for photos, so this would have to be brighter all across. If so, this makes things much simpler - the question is should I go with blue (202/203 as suggested) and/or frost or leave everything O/W? Finally - front light should this also be fairly steep or shallow like normal face lighting? I have seen several warnings about making the models squint if the angle is too direct, hence the question.

Thanks - Peter

• 6 months later...

In case anyone is interested, here are a few photos from the final article: photos. No coloured lighting at all except on narrator (amber toplight) and glitter curtain (RGBW LEDs). Remainder open white no frost PCs and a few soft-focused profiles from FOH. Front, back, and sides as straight on as possible in all cases. The penultimate photo shows the flattening effect of using a flash which looks like it has been Photoshop'ed.

Peter

Archived