Reverse widowmaker. (WTF?)

bigclive

Why on earth would someone have a short lead with a female 16A CEE form on BOTH ends? The only thing that comes to mind is to make a nifty converter that allows a CEE form widowmaker to be used as a normal extension with a secret deadly bit in the middle.

Any ideas?

I toured in to a Uni a couple of years back that had more than a couple of 16A cables that were either M-M or F-F wouldn't have been quite so bad if the crew weren't ALL doing a Production Course with their tutor in the room asking me what the problem was.

There are idiots all over the place, best you can do is keep your eyes open and destroy any examples of such stupidity as you encounter them.

correct me if I am wrong but that sounds a bit like the sort of adapter a pat tester would use for certain testers.

I can't see how a (competent!) pat tester would have any need for such a lead.

Adapters that convert a male connector to a female of a different type - yes, but never a female to female (or male to male for that matter).

There are idiots all over the place, best you can do is keep your eyes open and destroy any examples of such stupidity as you encounter them.

By "destroy any examples of such stupidity", you're referring to the "idiots all over the place" yes?

Shirley said idiots will destroy themselves anyway? Give an idiot enough cable and enough male and female connectors and he will find a way to self terminate (groan). The worry is he will terminate the innocent as well as.

I've seen a company that makes 110V F-F cables, as they made a machine with a 110V F connector on it that could be powered by either a battery pack (with a 110V M connector) or a mains adapter (again with 110V M connector) and they provided a 110V F-F connector for charging the battery pack from the mains adapter. The whole system runs at 12V.

I did ask them about this and they said they did all the connectors the wrong way round for safety - so you couldn't plug the machine into 110V mains (although you could connect the battery or PSU into mains) - and they didn't want to provide a 110V M-M cable.

(In the company's defence, these were old machines, and they swapped to using 12V Mennekes connectors in the right configuration - although they do now provide M-M cables but with 12V ceeforms.)

Was it 16A 240V or 16A 110V?

16A 240. The same organisation were in today hooking up a temp event supply consisting of a 32A 3-phase CEE form directly to the outgoing busbars of a breaker. The minimum breaker in that cabinet is 100A and the biggest is 400A. I wonder which one they hooked their 6mm tails to. :unsure:

Archived