radio mic etc buy back

chatterbox

HI,

We are based in Australia, but we are pommies..... just wondered what was the buy back deal that people got for the radio buy backs????/ what was paid per system etc???

We are going through the same here soon, but as yet havent got any buy back deals from the government - and knowing dear Julia there will be no chance of any money... so just curious what the UK people got??

Far more than what mine were really worth! It varied a lot, but was around half what the new value was. With a few anomalies up and down. It worked quite well for me, and I didn;t hear too many people moaning - and those that did were just the few with kit that didn't get listed at the correct value!

The only thing that annoyed some people was that the compensation was only paid to people with licenses - and that made the licensed people smile!

What band do you use in Australia? Europe is pretty well harmonised now, although a few people with specific requirements are still licensing frequencies other than 70 and 38 on an application by application basis - and these people might be interested in buying non-musicshop kit?

If this change is going to affect a significant number of users and leave them out of pocket, then you could always looking at joining/starting a group to lobby the government for compensation and, if they are not forthcoming, possibly start somoe form of class action lawsuit. In the UK, we had pressure put on the government from a number of high profile groups inclusing BEIRG which was set up by the entertainment industry for this purpose.

Steve

The situation is, alas, a bit different in Australia. Rather than licensed frequencies, radio mic users were grouped under a single "class license" that allowed them to use white spaces on the TV spectrum on a "no interference, no protection from interference" basis. I suspect the government will use the lack of user-specific licenses to avoid paying any compensation.

Information about what is happening is available from ACMA (sort of a super OFCOM with responsibility for regulating all aspects of broadcasting, not just frequencies) is available HERE.

There IS a lobby group supposedly working on behalf of radio mic users--it's called the AUSTRALIAN WIRELESS AUDIO GROUP but I don't think it has the high profile or political clout of BEIRG.

The only certainty is that this'll be a mess.

BOBBSY is right...it will be a mess - we don't have the amount of population etc here, so any lobbying is always on a smaller scale... We will be lucky to get anything from the government, and bearing in mind dear JULIA - if we were in another country and paying us would make her look good, then that would be fine, but otherwise we have no chance. It will be a huge mess.....

Archived