9 for 8 and Subsistence

locallad

Hi I have just been offered my first west end role as a showman.

I was wondering as it is a bectu house would I get paid Subsistence with this?

As I dont live in london and with the 9 for 8 its just not enought money for me to live on.

I have looked on the bectu website about this and found some information. But if anyone has any more would be much helped.

Many Thanks

Best place to start would be your prospective employer - ask them what they're offering.

BUT I would say that if you're a casual on a first call in the region, they're unlikely to offer more than basic wage and MAYBE some London weighting. After all, there are very likely queues of lads in similar positions to you who DO live local and wouldn't need the extra...

Are you working for the theatre or the show?

If you are working for the theatre it is likely that pay will be as per the BECTU/SOLT agreement, unless it is somewhere like the National who have their own agreement.

If you are working for the show the employers are not bound by any union agreements (other than MU) but may pay in line with Equity.

Neither will pay any subsistence or travel during normal working hours (a taxi may be arranged to travel after normal public transport has finished for employees in BECTU houses).

Generally show staff in the West End are London based.

• 2 weeks later...
I work at TRN and we get paid for taxis after all other reasonable means of transport home has finished. We cant claim them if a bus service or whatever is available. I doubt youd get anything. As far as there concerned theyre giving you the job; and in there eyes its not their problem how much it costs to get to work etc.

I was wondering as it is a bectu house would I get paid Subsistence with this?

As I dont live in london and with the 9 for 8 its just not enought money for me to live on.

Hello,

There's no such payment in the West End, no. Minimum rates for positions and roles are negotiated through BECTU with the employers' organisation SOLT. For each show, on top of this, there may be a show bonus such as 9 shows paid for 8 worked, or a flat bonus. Show calls for backstage staff are 3 hours per show with overtime paid in excess thereof.

It's not easy living on just show rates even if you live in London...

Archived