Research and Meeting Professionals

Hello Everybody,

I have had a quick look and I haven't seen a thread for this, I may be wrong.

I am currently in my 2nd Year of my degree studying Technical Production Management. For my course I have to engage with alot of research and the course is based on the Student Learning, basically me going to find the answer (Which is a very good thing) However I am wanting to find more professionals or anyone in the industry to help me with research. I do use alot of books and internet research but I would like to strengthen the professional side.

Basically, I want to find out if there are people out there who would be willing to help me with my questions or maybe, if based in London to possibly meet up for tea/coffee and cake (Free of course) for a quick chat/interview.

I really do want to find out more about the industry and what it actually is like and I feel this is the best way. I am also looking for maybe shadowing roles or visits or possible placements.

Its my 2nd year in London so I have a lot to get my hands into and hopefully get as much out of my degree as possible

The areas I am researching in at the minute are:?

Crew calls

What do people get from/ want out of AutoCAD and Designs (What your looking for on a plan)

How the role of Technical Manager can work with a designer and director.

Rates of Pay/union information

Obviously I have looked at sites and the companies information, what I am really after is peoples experiences of the research.

If anyone wishes to contact me they can do so on here, or to save making a mess with the threads etc can email me at matthew.bushell@cssd.ac.uk

I Hope you can help and look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Matthew

During my mates second year at Central he was out there doing all sorts of work to make ends meet and following the same practice would give you all the answers you require.

Have you thought that actually getting the student working might just be the underlying goal of the set research rather than some coffee-house gossip?

Hello,

Thank you for the reply

I do that already, It is just something that is in my criteria and that I could use to back up my evidence. This section that I wrote about is only alittle bit of the degree, I just wanted to strengthen it up really, I just like to know more about personal experiences in the industry.

Thank you for reading

During my mates second year at Central he was out there doing all sorts of work to make ends meet and following the same practice would give you all the answers you require.

Have you thought that actually getting the student working might just be the underlying goal of the set research rather than some coffee-house gossip?

While I get your sentiment Kerry, an actual, proper, sit down chat with someone who is happy to help, with the knowledge that this is to be used in a university project is in my opinion likely to yield far better results than chatting to tired (but experienced) work colleagues during a tea break.

While Matt probably does have part time work to get him through his course (It's pretty much a requirement if you want to eat these days), A broader range of experiences from a wider range of venues will surely up his grade a little bit - Plus he's offering free tea and cake.

If I was in London, and felt I could help, I would, but unfortunately I'm still job searching after finishing Uni. Joy.

Taking time out to listen to one or two people's individual takes on the questions gives you a little second hand or apocryphal information. Actually going to see the reality for yourself in a working experience gives you the opportunity to formulate your own opinions and views.

I could sit and talk all day about how I see the work but it would be with the benefit of hindsight, added nostalgia and the ameliorating effects of time and distance. That might be the point of the exercise but as a tutor I would rather see the students own observations rather than second-hand ones.

Research; Definition; The systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions.

I apologise, I seem to have missed one of the key things I meant to say from my post, which was something to the effect of:

"While your own research is important on a degree course, A variety of sources, including secondary research, would most likely provide the best mark".

So yes, I do agree that primary research and experiencing things for yourself is a big part of research for a paper, but secondary research can only help, even if it is only to back up / support your own primary research.

Archived