Cleaning HK Elias PX

samhatcher

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice / suggestions as to how I can go about cleaning my HK Audio Elias PX System?

For anyone who doesn't know these particular speakers, there made a sturdy (and easy to clean) wooden cabinets, however the fronts as covered with this tough plastic acoustic foam, which over time has got quite muddy from general use.

You can see what I'm trying to describe here -

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/hk-audio-elias-px-series-elias-px-system-286789.jpg

If anybody had any suggestions as to how I can remove dried mud from this tough acoustic foam it would be greatly appreciated, I've tried vigorously rubbing it with a damp cloth with not much success, while the foam remains wet the stain disappears, however upon trying it is still quite noticeable again. You can see even in that stock photo there is a stained line across the front of the bass bins. This is the same problem in having.

Many Thanks

Sam

Have you asked HK how much new foam grilles are? Could be a lot quicker than endless scrubbing.

I recently acquired a pair of HK subs - haven't investigated closely yet but can't see how the foam is taken off and replaced - interested to hear anyone else's experiences

Have you asked HK how much new foam grilles are? Could be a lot quicker than endless scrubbing.

I recently acquired a pair of HK subs - haven't investigated closely yet but can't see how the foam is taken off and replaced - interested to hear anyone else's experiences

The cause of the problem is the air passing through the grill all the time, and its caused by dust. Iv had slight success with air compressor but nothing really seems to clean it.

The metal grills are held on by screws behind the foam at the top and bottom. If you peel the foam back slightly at bottom and top you will see them, the metal grill will pull out and the foam is just held on my the metal grill.

The cause of the problem is the air passing through the grill all the time, and its caused by dust. Iv had slight success with air compressor but nothing really seems to clean it.

The metal grills are held on by screws behind the foam at the top and bottom. If you peel the foam back slightly at bottom and top you will see them, the metal grill will pull out and the foam is just held on my the metal grill.

Brilliant thanks, I've contacted Karl Bates at JHS who is apparently the UK distributor for HK Audio, and should hopefully be able to source some new foam. Its a really brilliant PA, its just a shame that it gets dirty so easily.

Sam, word of warning. I have some Lucas's and on one of the 1000W subs I used to use regularly we had a downpour flood which blew our amp.

If yours are getting muddy be aware that, though I don't know the Elias layout, water ingress can be expensive. I love mine and have used them for a dozen years with no complaints. Worth looking after.

Thanks for the heads up :) They have't really been getting wet as such, the mad was mainly splatter from people jumping in liquid mud near by. People do have a tendency to like to dance right in front of the speakers which is fine, but somewhat annoying when your kit is getting a splattering. I try to avoid using them outdoors as much as possible usually.

Sam

Archived