X32 Review

darkelf151

Given all the interest in the x32 I thought I would post my thoughts after having had a demo unit to play with.

Scenario 1;

SM58 via analogue split into ch17 of both the x32 and an LS9, Ipod into ch32 of both. Outputs from the desks into inputs 1 and 2 respectively of a Dolby Lake processor. Lake output to DAS Aero12 array.

Out of the box the x32 appears well put together, and well designed. The main channel functions are clearly laid out and intuitive, along with most of the menu buttons, which is just as well as the manual is next to useless! Connected up the 58 through our normal analog split system, dial in the head amps on both desks and bring it up. First up, the x32 - not bad, functional, adequate but not astounding (should mention here that I've been on a Pro2c almost exclusively for the last few months so may be a little jaded...) Switch over to the LS9 - surprisingly little difference - The x32 has slightly more noise on the channel and is slightly less controlled, especially around the top end, conversely, sweeping through the range on the head amp, the x32 doesnt have the stepped gains of the LS9. EQ section, again functional and adequate. The x32 needs more aggressive eq in respect to the LS9, with usually 2db more cut / boost than the LS9 to reproduce the same sounds.

Onto the Ipod - again, the x32 produces a usable signal, but the results are (somewhat to be expected) broadly similar to the sm58 test - the x32 is slightly less well defined / controlled and slightly noisier.

Downloaded the beta version of Behringers offline editor (X Control) onto a laptop and set about remote controlling the desk - fairly easy to set up, although once the laptop had found the desk, it refused to connect as the desk firmware was out of date.....Spent a further hour faffing around trying to get the firmware updated, until I found on a forum that you have to leave the file in its zipped format and not extract it onto the USB. Having now learnt that, the manual does say that, but its none to clear....

Once connected up the desk remote controls exactly as you would expect, although X control is still in its beta version at the moment so some of the functionality is missing - Im sure the missing bits will be addressed by the time the first release arrives.

Scenario 2;

Alesis HD24 jack o/p into X32 desk pre's, usb out of x32 into windows vista laptop running demo version of Reaper. (source material originally recorded using LS9 and adat cards)

Using the recordings on the Alesis I recreated (as much as is possible in the warehouse) the signals from the festival. Again, the x32 coped with the 32 channels coming at it and produced a workable output. The effects were passable and I soon had a workable output. I then took a standard (and somewhat 'well used' laptop, downloaded a demo copy of Reaper and the usb asio driver from Behringers' website. In short order I had 32 channels of audio happily recording on the laptop. After 10 minutes of recording I stopped the laptop, turned around the signal path (has to be done in blocks of 8 channel) and replayed the recordings back through the desk and out to the PA. The output was actually very good, no degradation of the signal, no glitches or dropouts, just a rocksteady reproduction of the original material.

Conclusions;

Is the x32 better than the LS9?; Well, frankly, no it isn't, The x32 has less features and is less refined than the Yamaha, but at a quarter of the price this is to be expected; However, the X32 certainly gives the ls9 a good run for the money. Most of the criticism I have seen of the LS9 I have seen recently can be leveled just as easily against the x32 - if driven too hard both consoles can certainly sound thin, both consoles have broadly similar ways of presenting the information for each channel etc etc.

Will the x32 end up being an LS9 killer? Probably yes, given that the majority of people/companies that buy the LS9 make the decision based mainly on cost (a broad generalisation I realise) rather than rider friendliness or sound quality then the X32 at a quarter of the price is a clear winner, but that being said, I cant see anyone who has Yamaha boards already rushing out to sell them and get x32s, equally, I cant honestly see the x32 making any great impression on the resale value of the LS9.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the review. Interesting to hear your opinion about the sound. We have LS9s and now an X32 too along with some bigger digital consoles. I really like the LS9 and I'm not one to bash it as I think it sounds pretty good.. certainly good enough for most applications.. On first impressions I think the X32 sounds slightly better than the LS9 'slightly better' means pretty good by any standard but yeah it's pretty close.

Anyway, the main point of my reply is to disagree with your comment about the X32 having fewer features than the LS9... how so? just for starters the X32 has DCAs, integrated AES50 networking, 8 extra aux inputs/outputs, three layer user key section with rotaries, 6 bands of EQ on the outputs, delay on all inputs, separate monitor outs, mute group buttons on the surface, AES EBU output and of course a 32 in/out firewire/USB interface all included... plus probably a bunch of other stuff I've either forgotten about of haven't stumbled across yet.. I think you get the picture. Like it, don't like it - up to you. Fewer features? No Sorry.

As for LS9s plummiting in value - I certainly hope not and I don't think they will. It's still a very usable tool - perhaps not 'sexy' by todays standards but rock solid reliability is worth a lot in this business. We've probably put 2000 shows on our ls9s since we had them without a single hitch. Will the X32 match that? I've got no idea!

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to buy an X-32, 2 stage boxes and possible the personal mixers for a project after christmas - I've got to wait a while because nobody actually seems to have anything bar the mixer actually in stock. I'm still not finding any actual negative comments, just positive ones, so I'm getting a sense of unbalance. Plenty of people on the net saying the usual anti-Behringer stuff, but all buyers seem happy - but then they shut up! Has anyone else bought one, rather than used somebody else's?

Actual question! - multis - I've seen quite a few available similar to this 50m (using our german friends as an example)

http://www.limelight.org.uk/snake.png

For half the price you can get this (75m)

http://a2.images6.thomann.de/pics/prod/255351.jpg

Any thoughts on this?

I've also noticed flight cases are springing up - and one with a dog box and castors seem to be £380ish from a couple of sources.

I can't seem to find a reason to put me off - as the nearest alternative (the Roland) is a lot more money

I bought one and it went straight into service as the in-house board for 200cap venue. I am really impressed with it, both in terms of quality, usability and features. It has now done 15 multi-band shows since the beginning of the month. Everyone who's looked at it has found it difficult to fault including engineers who are frequently working with your typical higher-end digital consoles. All the touring engineers seem to be happy and able to operate without much assistance.

My only niggle is one of the encoders is not responding correctly but it still works and even if it didn't there are work-arounds. There are a splattering of similar early model issues from other users but in all cases Behringer support has been excellent.

The place to be if you have not seen it already is here. This has become the official thread for help, bug reports and feature requests. A number of Behringer staff are present, including Uli himself and usually respond almost immediately.

I cannot comment on the cables but regarding the S16's Uli did say that they wouldn't be available initially while manufacturing was focussed on coping with demand for the console. I do intend to purchase two when they are.

In terms of flightcase I went with the Thomann bundle as I just needed something simple and lightweight for venue use. If I was touring I would want something a bit stronger with backbox and wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just discovered the delivery date for the S-16s has been put back to near Christmas. I ordered a package but told them to wait until everything was in stock. Not sure if I should just have the mixer sent and wait for the rest in January when panto is over. The huge topic linked to seems to be almost 100% positive. A few faults, but overwhelmingly people are happy with them.

Also don't forget that although they don't advertise it, Thomann have an automatic 2% extra discount if you transfer funds to their account rather than pay via card. Normally I pay by card simply for the extra protection, but Thomann have always been very upfront in my large number of transactions - so I'm taking the discount from now on.

With regards to the core I don't know about the Behringer situation, but Allen and Heath recommend using only cores they have tested, list here http://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/367/87/ilive--recommended-cables , I use the 80m Neutrik tour grade one and have had no problems in 3 years (touching wood as we speak!)

Paulears.........

A colleague has bought the X-32 and is really pleased. He has also bought the 'cheaper' multi as per your post. He is also waiting for the S16 box and have just informed him of the new delivery date. He was hoping it was going to be here by the end of the month, but hayho!

Jon

Also don't forget that although they don't advertise it, Thomann have an automatic 2% extra discount if you transfer funds to their account rather than pay via card. Normally I pay by card simply for the extra protection, but Thomann have always been very upfront in my large number of transactions - so I'm taking the discount from now on.

I paid for my first order via bank transfer, and got whacked by a currency conversion charge from my bank, as is also the case with credit/debit cards. Last couple of times I've paid via PayPal which turned out to be cheaper.

For half the price you can get this (75m)

http://a2.images6.thomann.de/pics/prod/255351.jpg

Any thoughts on this?

Yes; I use the Ssnake Cat 5 multi for the M7CL 48-ES around my multi-purpose venue and have never had any issues with it, either in terms of data transmission or not going back on the reel very well without cable distortion.

As you say Paul, it's a fraction of the cost of most alternatives; I had looked at the Cordial version on Thomann but when I saw the Ssnake version I thought there was little point in spending the extra.

Is the cable itself pretty tough? The expensive one 'feels' strong, which could just be an illusion - but I wondered how stiff it is? However - the recommendation is good enough for me - it's not going to get huge amounts of wear and tear.

I paid for my first order via bank transfer, and got whacked by a currency conversion charge from my bank, as is also the case with credit/debit cards. Last couple of times I've paid via PayPal which turned out to be cheaper.

Have a look at xetrade.com - they seem to be the cheapest around, and will deliver the final payment by cheque in the receivers currency, so no wire transfer charges. I've paid our German friends this way. Only drawback is that it isn't instant like PayPal.

Use it quite a lot, being I'm in New Zealand and often have to make usd or gbp payments.

No connection other than satisfied customer etc.

Archived