Ringing out a sound system by yourself.

Envoy

Hello Everyone,

Is there an effective way to equalize (ring-out) a small sound system?

The economy is forcing me to do more jobs alone and equalizing a headtable comprised of (3) wireless table microphones, podium mic and a lav -is nerve racking. I hate having to run back and forth trying to top feedback as I adjust the levels.

The tech table is usually located midway or in the back. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thank you in advance.

E.

The most popular way at present is to use a tablet to remote control your digital mixer and eq whilst talking into the mics....

If this isn't where you're at with equipment, then how about a small monitor speaker placed in front of the mic playing back representative speech, whilst you eq from the mix position?

Thank you, Simon. :)

The most popular way at present is to use a tablet to remote control your digital mixer and eq whilst talking into the mics....

If this isn't where you're at with equipment, then how about a small monitor speaker placed in front of the mic playing back representative speech, whilst you eq from the mix position?

I do it as follows:

Plug the mic you want to ring out directly into the desk with a short XLR at your FOH position. Talk into it to get an idea of where the EQ needs to be and find out where the gain setting needs to be. Then set it up on the podium, and add 10dB of gain. Bring up the fader and adjust your graphic/parametric to get rind of any ringing. Then put the gain back down 10dB

You now have a feedback free mic at a reasonable starting point with plenty of headroom available, all without any running back and froth from FOH. Any tweaking can be done on the fly.

Not ideal but it works for me.

• 1 month later...

I do it as follows:

Plug the mic you want to ring out directly into the desk with a short XLR at your FOH position. Talk into it to get an idea of where the EQ needs to be and find out where the gain setting needs to be. Then set it up on the podium, and add 10dB of gain. Bring up the fader and adjust your graphic/parametric to get rind of any ringing. Then put the gain back down 10dB

You now have a feedback free mic at a reasonable starting point with plenty of headroom available, all without any running back and froth from FOH. Any tweaking can be done on the fly.

Not ideal but it works for me.

Thank you!

Archived