Anyone used the EV ZXA1 12" Sub?

MisterJames

Hello,

Has anyone used or heard the EV ZXA1 Subwoofer? What do you think? I am thinking of replacing the ELX118P with two of these as I need small size and more portability.

I will be using them with the ELX112P????

Cheers

James

I notice from the spec that they don't claim to go all that low - 53Hz @ -3dB - which is a consequence of the 12" driver. And they don't go very high either, (93Hz @ -3dB) which might indicate that a 12" top would work a little better than anything smaller - although they're clearly designed to go with the ZxA1 top, which is pretty small. You'll get significantly lower with your existing 18" driver. But 50Hz may well be low enough - that depends on what kind of work you want to do with them! The ZxA1 top is a nice unit, and compact. Annoying that they don't have a power outlet on the sub, so you need to run mains power to both sub and top if you use active tops.

I have regularly used a rig that combines Zx1s with Sba760s, which are pretty compact and that has plenty of power.

I think the zx1sub looks a little undersized and underpowered and is probably more of a bass cab/low end extension for the small Zx1s rather than a true sub.

Yeah no doubt that the ZXA1-Sub is actually more a Low-Mid cabinet judging by it's frequency response. How quickly with a band cover an audience of say 200 will you hit -3db?

Has anyone used the ZXA1-90B 8" Full range with the ZXA1-Sub? What application did you use it for? Maybe EV was not the way to go for portable PA at a good price.

Archived