WWRY Laser Cage

tom_the_LD

Hi all,

So there've been many discussions on here about the laser cage and how to achieve it. Gobos, actual lasers and even projection. But - has anybody done it but on purpose made it not a laser? If that makes sense.

So instead of trying to recreate a laser, just using a S4 5 or 10 degree to create a very narrow beam of light (perhaps even a mover or profile with iris in) - similar to a tunnel of light that might pick you up from a UFO or something?

Just thinking outside the box (well trying to) for a production I've got coming up.

Cheers all!

Tom

Tom,

I've had a great deal of success with the DHA Laser Cone gobo (DHA 892.)Provided you've got a good axial spot to project it and a shed load of haze it really looks effective. In fact my first foray with them was for a production that had four in Strand Quartet 22/40's and they still looked great as they were low down and crossed out into the audience. You'll probably not need too narrow a spot as the cone is not that big.

When we did it at my last job, we built pin spots into the floor of the set. Gave a very different effect but rather nice as there was enough spill from them to uplight the people in the cages so little other lighting was needed.

Laser cone gobo's is the way we've done it 3 times now. All to great effect.

One tip. If you've got it in a mover, rotate the gobo and experiment with speed. A laser cone shouldn't see any benefit from rotation as it's basically a ring, so no breakup so to speak. But rotating it (quite fast I seem to remember) gives it a certain "wobble" that looks quite nice and "Scifi".

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

Laser cone gobo (in fact 892) is how I've seen it done a few times too - I just wanted to do something a little bit "different" whilst not being too far from the original.

The pinspot idea does sound very cool!

Done it with a laser cone gobo and with an actual laser - both were quite effective in their own way but obviously looked different.

Making sure there's enough haze to see the beam is far more important than what produces the beam - one night our hazer was playing up and the effect was completely lost :(

Archived