Abstract Pro Futurescan 2CE wattage?

samhatcher

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a set of Abstract Pro Future Scan 2CE scanners and I was wondering if

A) anyone owns a pair a could confirm the wattage of bulb they take, some places seem to say they take 150w, others 250w

B) are abstract in general / these models in particular any good or should they be avoided?

Thanks

Sam

Well, they're certainly not going to be new, I think these were discontinued about 10 years ago. However, they were well constructed, and some spares are still available. Support is available from http://www.lektrix.co.uk/index.html - they know everything about these units, so best give them a ring with any queries you may have.

They were extremely well made products and most spares can still be purchased, only design flaw was the lack of a triac dimmer instead a relay was used which if a dimmer was used a slight underun of the lamp would ensure longer life, or even a fade in /out to prevent lamp stress might have helped. but for what they are they are robust , easy to work on, reliable lights.

(Tim Sabre will be along in a minute to tell us why it had no dimmer, as he designed the electronics for the unit.)

They are good units, but very old and boxy looking. Designed in my back bedroom in 1995. The stand-alone light show with automatic master-slave linking was revolutionary at the time and has been much imitated. The stepper motors make an annoying whining noise, ok in a disco situation.

Triac dimmer? Far too expensive. I was allowed to fit a 50p relay after some discussion!

Archived