moving head rain covers?

boshed

Ex hire stock domes will only be sold if they are on their last legs.

I would suggest these:

http://www.robe.cz/products/article/lightdome-575/

Or the larger version if you need to put huge lights in them.

I have used the big ones with a variety of non-robe fixtures by simply mounting a short bar inside then hanging my lights on that.

We (Enlightened Lighting) have the robe domes in rental and think they are pretty good. However robe have also discontinued them.

There is a German firm making some domes still but the showtec are by far the cheapest. You will need to purchase replacement covers. The robe covers were ok (not great) the showtec covers are very thin and in my view rubbish.

We have a firm that makes a bottle shape dome for us allowing larger fixtures to fit on the smaller 575 base.

Hope this is of some help.

Andrew.

--

Andrew@enlightenedlighting.co.uk

Not necessarily a very serious suggestion but I do know of someone who bought a quantity of those small plastic greenhouse type things that they sell in places like pound stretcher. The ones for a couple of seed trays. if its out of the clients view might be an option.

My local hire place made some for a building roof, 2 halfs of plastic dome that bolted togeather with a fixed base. The whole thing was slanted maybe 10-20deg so it could get a better angle over the roof.

I beleive bits were on ebay and came to not that much.

Oh I found a pic http://www.origintechnicalproductions.co.uk/images09/jpeg/Xmas10-OC-SPDomes-3h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My local hire place made some for a building roof, 2 halfs of plastic dome that bolted togeather with a fixed base. The whole thing was slanted maybe 10-20deg so it could get a better angle over the roof.

I beleive bits were on ebay and came to not that much.

Oh I found a pic http://www.origintechnicalproductions.co.uk/images09/jpeg/Xmas10-OC-SPDomes-3h.jpg

Thanks for the mention here "Kid" ! We faced the same issue of finding a number weatherproof domes for some Explorer 250s being rooftop sited during winter in Oxford. We couldn't find anything for sensible money so designed and built our own. I don't think anything came from Ebay; we sourced off-the-shelf domes from a distributor in London who also did the machining to put the angles on each half and add other fastening bosses. The bases we constructed from 18mm ply. They were canted over both to improve the angle to the ground and also run off water. We only needed the front facing 180° so the sealed central join wasn't an issue, though it didn't seem to interfere with the gobo images significantly anyway as its section was very narrow. On board heaters were added (as it was mid-winter), along with inside and outside temperature recording (minus 12 one night!). We built three 'prototypes' in a hurry for the actual job and have a fourth still under further development. Contact us via here or the Origin Technical Productions website if you'd like to know more.

Archived