Bose L1

oakeedokee

I've mixed on a system comprised of a pair of L1MII a number of times.

Is setup quick and simple? Yes.

Can it sound good? Yes.

Does the sound change less with distance than "normal" speakers? No.

Is it better than a similarly priced "normal" system? It's not as good, let alone better. Especially if the musical genre "requires" a lot of kick.

At the price, I can't think of any reason to recommend it for any application.

I've mixed on a system comprised of a pair of L1MII a number of times.

Is setup quick and simple? Yes.

Can it sound good? Yes.

Does the sound change less with distance than "normal" speakers? No.

Is it better than a similarly priced "normal" system? It's not as good, let alone better. Especially if the musical genre "requires" a lot of kick.

At the price, I can't think of any reason to recommend it for any application.

please don't think I'm picking at the above comment but I really do think it misses the point - if you have an engineer on hand to mix you wouldn't dream of using this system,. the system works great for solo/duo work though, which is what the heart of it's market is. a solo performer probably has at least a part time day job, gets last minute gigs when full bands cannot be had (ever tried phoning round an 8 piece to replace the band that cancelled with 4 hours notice?) plays in a mix of restaurants and bars (see above post|) and both wants and needs a fast, simple set up that gives a quality result every time. the L1 is both monitor and PA and more than adequate for an audience of 50 or so. there are plenty of cheaper alternatives available (see above) but few that are as fast and as versatile for this environment - having walked on stage as a guest playing next to my friend (as above) I can safely say that in this type of environment I have never come across a better monitor system on stage - crystal clear and if you follow the instructions to set up, feedback free. add in the fact that it fits in pretty much any car boot with enough room left for mic stands and an acoustic guitar and that the set up time is less than 7 minutes from pulling up the car to being ready to perform (see above) - far from having no reason to recommend there are few reasons for them not to be used for this type of situation. is it a professional engineer's system? no of course not - but that is precisely the point.

For this sort of artist, at 3 gigs a week, in this environment, the kit pays for itself in four to six weeks.

My real curiosity is whether the LD Maui system will do the same job, as well as the Bose.

Archived