Jands HOG 250/600 RGB Fixture

Ashley R

Hi BR

This has been ticking me off recently, after adding a RGB fixture profile to my HOG 250 (the 600 is the same).

At the moment how I currently have the fixture profile set up, When I hit the DBO button, or bring down the grand master the fixture does not respond to it, and only responds to the jog wheels/ faders.

My question is, how do I write the profile so that the grand master will control them? Its just a standard 3Ch RGB fixture.

fixture = RGB	
manufacturer = 0
product = 13
name = RGB3CH

output = DMX

parameter = Red
default = 0
highlight = 0
crossfade = 0
type = ltp8bit
range = 0, 255, %

parameter = Green			
default = 0
highlight = 0
crossfade = 0
type = ltp8bit
range = 0, 255, %

parameter = Blue
default = 0
highlight = 0
crossfade = 0
type = ltp8bit
range = 0, 255, %

I can't answer your question directly, however I'm guessing the problem is due to the fact there's no intensity master for the fixture, which is what the desk will black out (rather than a colour attribute or parameter). As the fixtures themselves don't have an overall dimming master, the desk simply won't black anything out.

I've not used a Jands Hog, but I use Vista desks regularly, and these create a virtual intensity channel for fixtures without one, such as LED RGB.

I'd personally just patch the fixtures old school as generic dimmers and run them that way, though I can see how this may cause problems if the show is complex.

I was thinking of that, as the Manual mentions stuff about the Intensity of a fixture.

But then surely there must be a way of telling the desk that all 3 of these attributes need to be dimmed the same as intensity?

These fixtures do have a 6ch mode, but I would rather not use it as I'm already limited to 250ch's (Need to get around to fitting the Expansion card I have....)

Just makes it a bit of a faf, patching as individual dimmers? I used to do it that way, and thought surely there must be a better alternative!

Try adding "kind = +" to each parameter - you MAY have to change the parameter name to one that does not appear in the types.txt file - in that case make them iRed, iGreen, iBlue. Kind can be one of I, C, B, F, + or X - I for intensity parameter, C for colour, B for Beam, F for Focus, X for "Uneditable" and + for "Primary Intensity" (ie the parameter controlled by the master). This is based on a 1K, but hopefully the 250/600 series has the same library function.

fixture = RGB   
manufacturer = 0
product = 13
name = RGB3CH

output = DMX

parameter = Red
default = 0
highlight = 0
crossfade = 0
type = ltp8bit
kind = +
range = 0, 255, %

parameter = Green                       
default = 0
highlight = 0
crossfade = 0
type = ltp8bit
kind = +
range = 0, 255, %

parameter = Blue
default = 0
highlight = 0
crossfade = 0
type = ltp8bit
kind = +
range = 0, 255, %

I tried doing that in the function.txt file (which is the same I think as the types.txt file you are referring to, it has a long list of all the names of the various parameters, and various letters as you mentioned next to them) , changing the Red, Green and Blue from being Colour parameters © to Intensity (I) , but will check if the 250 will accept this edit on the parameter itself, and shal change the name and we shal see!

I would hope that the 250/600 and 500/1k files are at least partially compatible, with the 500/1k having more features I think than the 250/600.

I tried doing that in the function.txt file (which is the same I think as the types.txt file you are referring to, it has a long list of all the names of the various parameters, and various letters as you mentioned next to them) , changing the Red, Green and Blue from being Colour parameters © to Intensity (I) , but will check if the 250 will accept this edit on the parameter itself, and shal change the name and we shal see!

I would hope that the 250/600 and 500/1k files are at least partially compatible, with the 500/1k having more features I think than the 250/600.

Sorry, it is function.txt - type.txt is a list of library files - most of this is what I can recall off the top of my head - I have not had to write libs for the Hog in a fair while

IIRC, "I" parameters are not affected by the fader - only the + attributes ("Primary Intensity Channels") are. You could try making that change in the function.txt file, however that would make it a global change (really only matters if you have other fixtures that use Red Green and Blue)

As for HTP/LTP - It all depends on how you wish to work with the fixtures I guess - being colour mixing though, I would generally use LTP. I do not believe the hog really cares that much except when it comes to the interaction between different cues/cue lists.

Although not had a lot of experience of the libs at code level, I understand this to be a "modern" issue with LED fixtures that may leave you in the HTP realm in order to achieve what you want in a 3 channel RGB mode. It's a job for what now would be a virtual dimmer, not sure if there is a hack to create such a thing in the code as it would involves calcs that I would assume a standard personality implementation on the Hog can't perform.

There isn't anything wrong with running LEDs as HTP, plenty of us do it when using non-ML desks or for sheer convenience and speed. You just make allowances for the resulting behaviour. Using HTP does mean you don't get the fixtures "stuck on" or have to create blackout palettes etc.

Certainly on the Whole Hogs of the time you could set the fader as IPCB and control LTP channels which may have a similar effect at playback level, but the DBO and GM won't touch them as they are intended as Dimmer masters as Paul recalls, I'm pretty sure.

It seems Paul's memories were correct, and the grand master only affects htp functions. I left them as Colour attributes.

Next slight bug, When I touch one encoder, say for Red, it sets the other two (Green, Blue) to 0% instead of leaving it with the ? in the screen.

Just when I map R, G, B to 3 different sub masters, and try to manually mix colours, with the other parameters set to 0% this does not work, and I need them to be ?.

I thought it odd to, as none of the other fixtures do this (Changing one encoder, changes all 3), its just this RGB fixture that I have created. Shal have to go back and have a closer look http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

• 1 month later...

Archived