Wireless Guitar Systems

BigYinUK

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a wireless system for guitar. In the past I've had a Nady system (1990s) and more recently an AKG WMS40/SR40 Guitar Bug system. The Nady was rather noisy with limited range and the AKG has a very irritating slow noise gate effect that is very noticeable if you're playing quietly. In short I'm looking for something low noise that affects the original sound as little as possible.

Its an area that I'm not very familiar with so anyone got any ideas?

Regards all

You didn't mention how much you had to spend, but I work with a band which the guitarist uses this system, http://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_ew_172_g3_gb_band.htm.

certainly doesn't sound exactly like using a cable, but its not noticeable to any joe public.

I'v linked to the CH38 system, if you wana use it licence free, get one on ch70 (863-865 MHz)

For what its worth I'm contemplating one of these http://www.tuners.com/product_info.php?products_id=160 bit of value added to the transmitter thing. Was perfecty happy with my AKG system until it fell apart (now held together by tape) and didn't notice any noise gate issues (then I don't understand the playing quiet bit!)

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a wireless system for guitar. In the past I've had a Nady system (1990s) and more recently an AKG WMS40/SR40 Guitar Bug system. The Nady was rather noisy with limited range and the AKG has a very irritating slow noise gate effect that is very noticeable if you're playing quietly. In short I'm looking for something low noise that affects the original sound as little as possible.

Its an area that I'm not very familiar with so anyone got any ideas?

Regards all

I've been using an AKG bug (on 863.1) for some years now, but with a Sennheiser Freeport receiver. The AKG receiver seemed to be prone to occasional dropouts, though not really the noisegate effect you describe. (Mind you I'm not known for playing queitly.) This set up has been rock solid for me for years. I much prefer the bug to the belt pack transmitter that comes with the Freeport, so I just use that as a transmitter for my backup guitar. Its true it does 'colour' the sound compared to being hooked up with a lead, but its easy to EQ to compensate. Be careful to match frequencies of course.

Hi Guys.

What I'm trying to describe is a slight noise introduced to the signal when you stroke a note very very gently. ie. With the amp up loud on a clean channel and the volume control low (eg 1) on the guitar, just very lightly pick a string and on my system you'll hear the note but preceded by a slight hiss which remains until the note has died out and the noise gate closes again. This also (again at low volumes) makes it feel as if you are violining or delaying the note ever so slightly compared to using a cable.

When you're rocking out with the gain up its not noticeable but for fiddly stuff at low volumes it really bugs the hell out of me.

Anyway I've bought a Line6 G30 which seems quite good, although putting my fussy head on again, the A to D / D to A does seem to loose some of the tonal quality but not nearly as irritating as the hiss or sluggishness I'm describing above.

As to how it works in a gig situation, I'll know after Friday evening ** laughs out loud **

Paul, as you say, my unit may have a fault but I am known for my extreme fastidiousness regarding my guitar sound.

Regards and thanks to all who commented.

Ah - that's just the compander - a slight roughness where the thing is a bit unable to cope at the bottom end. To be honest, my Sennheisers do that if you set the input sensitivity so that a real hard bangy strum doesn't overload it, but then turn the volume up and do a quiet pick - especially on those tiny touch harmonics. I think the dynamic range is just too high for the thing to be smooth across the range.

Don't forget that the Line6 system shares frequencies with their radio mics - so drop the mic channel count by 1 for each guitar set you have in use. Also true of other systems, as I discovered to my cost when a couple of guitarists knocked out two of my radio mics at a folk event!

Sennheiser.

The new ULX-D seems to be good, and the auto gain feature is nice (as most folks never set them rightly otherwise).

Shure.

The ULX-D range is made by Shure.

Interestingly, that range is being priced far more competitively than you would expect for all the features it boasts.

I have no idea what the sound quality is like compared to the UHF-R (Shure's flagship wireless series) but on paper it certainly looks as if you would be hard pushed to justify the older, more expensive units.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually used ULX-D packs/mics.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived