Lighting gel suppliers - small orders

greenalien

Have you tried the lovely people at GLS Lighting in Southampton? Lee 410 sounds a bit obscure to me (as a rock'n'roll lampy!) but they might be able to add it to an imminent future order for you, or have an acceptable substitute available. I'm sure they'll have some kind of frost filter in stock.

Martin.

The problem is, these days using my van costs 25p a mile, so driving any distance to collect something small just isn't worthwhile. All I want is someone who'll only charge a quid or so to send a small sheet of gel by post, as well as the £4.50 or so that the gel costs.

Have you tried lancyln in Oxford?
- 410 isn't listed on their website.
Have you got anyone going Ringwood way? AJS cerstainly used to stock the full range.
they don't list it either

I'll try the Mayflower and GLS, good suggestions, keep them coming!

The problem is, these days using my van costs 25p a mile, so driving any distance to collect something small just isn't worthwhile. All I want is someone who'll only charge a quid or so to send a small sheet of gel by post, as well as the £4.50 or so that the gel costs.

You can't send a roll of gel by post for a quid though these days. It would be classed as a packet and cost £2.70...

Best option now is looking like changing to 216 and ordering from Ebay. I'm gobsmacked at some of the carriage costs I've been quoted - £10, even £12 - just for a sheet of gel. I can only assume that some suppliers are doing so well they don't want my business...

be wary of Ebay - most "sheets" on they may not be the standard sheet sizes we're used to. I've successfully used Ebay a few times for one-off small orders and it can work out cheaper though because of the postage issue. More often the sheet size is about half the standard size.

And it's not just gel - I've had similarly high prices quoted for buying a single gobo. I'm happy to pay a fair price, but there are some suppliers out there that just don't cater for smaller orders.

Archived