Risk Literacy

Roderick

Here's a bit of fun, at least for a nerd like me :rolleyes:

http://www.riskliteracy.org/dnn/Home.aspx

The blurb:

Would you like to learn more about your risk literacy and numeracy as compared to college educated people from around the world? By following the link below you will be directed to a published scientific instrument that quickly assesses your ability to understand risks.

And the bar is at:

Your numeracy score is better than about 75-100% of all college educated individuals. Roughly, this means that out of every 100 people who take the test, you will do better than about 90% (90 people) of all other people. This is the highest score one can receive on this test.

Not bad for someone who dropped out of school age 16.

:uni:

Yeah I got the top score as well. But I'm taught to be suspicious and double check everything in my day job....

I suspect most people who take that test will, by default, probably get a high score because they're the type of person who's interested in what they can acheive in it and are probably "wired that way".

I do like a good challenge, especially when I know there's a trick in there somewhere and have to find it!

Your numeracy score is better than about 50-75% of all college educated individuals.

But then stats and probability was never my strong point. And I haven't had my morning cuppa yet, so the synapses aren't firing.

I had a little play with this and discovered the your answer to the last question about drug benefits does not seem to affect the final score. This must be psychometric rather than just straight maths.

If you get the first question wrong you get a slightly easier second question.

The choir question has deliberately thrown in the some unnecessary figures just to confuse. It's a nice question about teasing out the useful figures to work with.

The dice question has a massive hint about how to approach it by the fact that it has 70 throws. This one is more about finding the approach than the calculation. If you get the choir question correct that is, otherwise it is just a very simple statistics question.

The cash question is clearly about recognising levels of risk and whether or not you would take any.

Interesting...

I think I got over two thirds Shez, not unhappy with that at all.

Probabilities aren't my strongest suit, possibilities seem more up my street. "What could possibly go wrong" despite all odds rather than "what are the odds of this".

I have lived too long to see risk analysis as a numerical subject, humans always surpass statistics, usually with horrible consequences. Cynicism saves me from shame in admitting I got less than everyone else.

Top score, and not particularly difficult if you look past the spurious details in the questions and think about the method rather than the numbers. If that's better than 75% of college graduates, it does make you wonder what they teach in higher education around the world :unsure:

Mathematics:

This comes from 2 math teachers with a combined total of 70 yrs. experience.

It has an indisputable mathematical logic. It also made me Laugh Out Loud.

This is a strictly mathematical viewpoint..it goes like this:

What Makes 100%?

What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?

Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%.

How about achieving 103%?

But what makes up 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

are represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K

8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E

11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But ,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far ass kissing will take you.

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G

1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty, that while Hardwork and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, its the Bullshit and Ass Kissing that will put you over the top.

Now you know why some people are where they are!

Archived