Outside sound system

Alecstarlite

I looking for some advice

I have a outside trailer n stage for doing small events . But want a decent sound system , to accomodate about 200 people , I think it prob need to but used as new stuff would prob be to expensive , would need bins or twin bins and top speakers , but has to loud as bands etc will be tapping in to them , also what amps would I run them of , oh and it would be running of a 10 kva generator , would be greatful for advice

Thanks

Mate I'm not being funny, but you are running a commercial sound hire company. http://www.starliteleisure.co.uk/

I think you should change the angle of your posts a bit for better responses. Asking a specific question such as "are there any types of speakers which are particularly good for outdoor use" or "are there any amps out there which are particularly efficient as I am running off a small temporary supply" will wield much more useful answers, than asking "I want to build a mobile stage, can you spec out a rig for me".

People come on here in their spare time to discuss things which interest them. They don't come on here in their spare time to do your job for you. If you are charging money as a commercial sound company, there is no way that you should be expecting other people to spec systems for you. You should be more than capable of doing that alone.

I think if you want more response from this site you should just change the angle of your posts a bit to open up creative discussion, rather than simply asking people to do free work for you.

Just a couple of questions to help narrow down what might be suitable

are you anticipating enough work that it is more suitable to buy a system than simply rent when needed?

what sort of budget do you have for the system?

you say you want to cover 200 people, but do you want to be able to blow there heads off with volume, or just be able to hear the band whilst talking?

do you already have microphones, mixing desk etc. or do these all need to be factored into the budget

do you need stage monitoring from the same budget?

Well excuse me for asking ill not bother

To be fair, you want a "loud, cheap, decent sounding system" that can handle a band outdoors but you can't afford new gear because that'll be too expensive? Two bins and a top each side could range from a few hundred quid to several tens of thousands. Azlan has asked some pertinent questions, and Brainwave raises the issue that a certain level of knowledge and professionalism is needed in this business. We are not saying you do not have these, but are merely pointing out your posts do not provide sufficient information - or reassurance.

Well excuse me for asking ill not bother

To be fair, you want a "loud, cheap, decent sounding system" that can handle a band outdoors but you can't afford new gear because that'll be too expensive? Two bins and a top each side could range from a few hundred quid to several tens of thousands. Azlan has asked some pertinent questions, and Brainwave raises the issue that a certain level of knowledge and professionalism is needed in this business. We are not saying you do not have these, but are merely pointing out your posts do not provide sufficient information - or reassurance.

My main point really was that if you want to start a topic that gets lots of responses, it is good to write first posts that enthuse people to write back, and discuss, and converse, and all the good stuff.

Both of the OPs 2 topics he's started, have really just said "here's my problem, tell me what I need so I can go and buy it". It's really not anybody's job to choose what you need, when you're a commercial PA company. If I was booking a sound company I would be horrified to think that their knowledge of sound gear was such that they based their purchases on what some guy on the internet said.

Nobody on this forum has the time (nor energy) to sit on Blue Room all night and write out specs for people, out of the goodness of their heart. But many of the members do have the time to sit and discuss specific issues, such as which speakers work well outdoors, or put up with bad weather well, or whatever. So using these facts to help you choose a PA system are perfectly good.

But I would have said that if you aren't capable of deciding which amp power you need to run your speakers, then you're not really ready to be running a sound company anyway. And the solution to the problem is to get enough knowledge and experience to do so; not to simply hand the responsibility over to an internet forum!

Perhaps it would be useful if you discussed why you are finding the Martin Audio system you currently have, to be unsuitable... a little tweaking could save you a lot of money, as you appear to have something potentially more than adequate to cover FOH for 200 people outdoors.

Archived