Employment?

kerry davies

It was a question - to what extent should we be forcing unpaid work on the unemployed or forcing them to take vacancies which arise.
Let's look at the economics of the current situation. Forget the morals.

C (claimant) is sent to WP (work provider) who gets £400 for one phone call to C. WP sends C to CH (care home). For this placement WP gets up to £1800. CH gets 30 hours a week free labour for 6 months allowing them to sack C2 (full time worker), during which time WP gets another £1800 for 10 hours a week jobsearch with C. CH then takes on C as an "apprentice" for a year on £2.60 an hour. At this point WP gets up to £13,500 to share with CH. At the end of the year CH sacks C who then signs on. C is sent to WP to place at CH and it all goes round again.

Meanwhile C2 has signed on, sent to WP who sends them to a new CH. A whole new merry-go-round at our expense so we actually create yet more clients for WP. Wicked! You work out what C2 costs, I can't be bothered.

As taxpayers our outgoings for the 18 months are over £18K. Left on the dole C would have cost us £3,500. For the year they are "working" C pays no tax or NI and has £5,400 minus expenses to "boost" the economy which because we have given WP and CH £13.5K to share is our money. Is that good value? I dunno, I am not paying (much) tax or NI, you are the guys paying for this.

That all aside the Work Providers are doing; THIS. 126 fraud cases 115 of them hidden from sight by the DWP, whose ministers (IDS, Grayling and Maria Miller) refuse to tell even select committees what the full costs of any of it are on grounds of "commercial confidence". The upshot is that neither C nor C2 even have to turn up at CH which can be a purely on paper business with neither premises nor staff. You guys still pay but you have no idea who, how much or what for.

Check this out, my mate who is a little bit famous failing to find a job. In bloody Warrington!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived