60W LED moving profiles, opinions?

norty303

Norty

I've found a picture of them in action on another forum - nice hey?

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/csgal14tp/IMG_1829.jpg

Thanks for that, another one on the 'to check out' list. I'm not sure they're quite as versatile as I might like on the beam angle, but never say never... ;)

Norty....sure I've seen you're name on a popular audio forum...

Correct, was admin/moderator at speakerplans for a few years, and member for much, much longer... (see the grey heirs?)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another vote here for the Q Spot 260's. Slightly narrower than a Mac 250 Entour and so slightly brighter. 2 gobo wheels (1 static and 1 rotating) with the rotating gobo wheel being a "slot and lock" wheel. Rotating prism and remote focus too. Small and light too! They have a 60W LED.

As Jon says they also do a slightly bigger version which is comparable to a 575W fixture.

Big downside no split colours, the supplied red is a waste of time as it is so weak, noisy fans, No UV or even similar.

and compared to 150 watt discharge units definately not as bright. These units were Q spot copies from ebay so may differ from the real thing, but I suspect these came from the same factory just re badged.

Another vote here for the Q Spot 260's. Slightly narrower than a Mac 250 Entour and so slightly brighter. 2 gobo wheels (1 static and 1 rotating) with the rotating gobo wheel being a "slot and lock" wheel. Rotating prism and remote focus too. Small and light too! They have a 60W LED.

I have a number of these and they're not brighter than an Entour, comparable yes, but not brighter.

They're a bit narrower and I've used them alongside the Krypton/Entours a few times but they work quite well. As far as I know they are or will shortly be replaced by something newer and brighter - although rather than a single 60W LED die it uses a number of seperate emitters, as a result the beam isn't as homogenous as it used to be at certain focus positions.

• 1 month later...

Have a look at the Phantom 50 LED,

Have lots of people that rate the output, speed and functionality. I personally think there fantastic units for the price. The output is the best I`ve seen in the price range.

18.500 Lux @ 1 M

8 Rotating Gobo's & 9 Colors,

Easy accessible replaceable gobo's,

Gobo shake, gobo rotate and 3-fact prism

16 Built in programs selectable by DMX

Showtec have a new Indigo Coming out with a 70w LED and massive spec, but havn`t seen a release date yet.

Mac 350 Entour is the replacement for the now discontinued 250 spots from Martin. They are pretty good units, I had some on a TV show last year and myself and the LD loved them. They would be worth checking out for sure.

Thanks.

Martin brought some to us for a demo and we were rather underwhelmed. Gobos that can never be completely focused? Colour wheel on an LED fixture? Only a single gobo wheel?

I'd have been willing to forgive the first if it had RGB/RGBW/RGBA colour mixing (because the 3/4 emitters will never line up perfectly), but it isn't: it's a fixture with a white LED source.

Take that, them being somehow heavier than the Mac 250s, and the fact that the build quality didn't feel as good as the units they're trying to replace?

It's looking like we are going to have to go with Robe for our next install...

• 2 weeks later...

Indigo 4500/chauvet q-260.

I own 10 Indigos 4500, we bought them from 10outof10 about 2 years ago....There is a design fault in these units, and I believe thats why they are stopping making them. 5 out of my 10 units have dead lamps. The leds burn out! The heat dissipation system fan and heat sink isn't good enough. I wish I bought the chauvet version, they have a Uk service centre in Nottingham, chauvet unit come with a longer warranty.

If your lamp does die you can buy a replacement from http://uk.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=CST-90-W&FS=True

I'm Currently replacing all the stock fans in my unit with a high airflow fans.

here is a design fault in these units, and I believe thats why they are stopping making them. 5 out of my 10 units have dead lamps. The leds burn out! The heat dissipation system fan and heat sink isn't good enough. I wish I bought the chauvet version, they have a Uk service centre in Nottingham, chauvet unit come with a longer warranty.

I'm Currently replacing all the stock fans in my unit with a high airflow fans.

Showtec (HIghlite) also have a UK service facility and are usually quite good at supplying spares. I had one with a defective LED unit at first (the beam was quite uneven after a short time) and they were very helpful.

Worth contacting your local Highlite dealer to see what they can do (or PM me and I'll see what I can do)

That said I'm thinking of selling my 6 - need something with a bit more output since I now find myself working with 575s and although they hold their own against a Mac 250 Krypton quite well, they're nowhere near the output of 575W discharge lamps.

I saw the Elation SPot LEDs earlier this year and they were punchy in 1100 capacity club. But at about a grand a piece a cluster of them is out ny price bracket. The Stairville X50 looks good in pictures and on paper but due to german supplier would have to gamble on a pair (and might as well get the flightcase they supply whilst at it). What units have people faced off against for the 575w discharge movers?

My most truaty lights are a pair of EXL scanners that are slightly inferior Robe DJ Scan copies. The LED successor of these (250w discharge) is a 30w LED I think they told me and £400 trade price. When I'm in a position to get a couple will see if I can audition them against my old units.

Well I never made it to PLASA, but as winter is here, and work slows down, I think I'll be waiting until the spring to invest. As the accountant says, 'Buy it when you need it!'

As technology seems to be moving forward so quickly in this area, I suspect I'll get better value for money in 6 months time, than sitting on it over the winter.

But the MX50's were definately winning at this point for the bang for buck value.

• 5 months later...

The 4 mx50s I got for a club were actually pretty good. A bit noisy, but nice and bright and nice colours, Quite impressed, and I'd absolutely buy more.

Paul - I know this is an old topic but still current to me. Have you got any videos/photos of them in action?

I'm sure Brian mentioned it might be possible to put quieter fans in them also as someone else in a different post (that I can't now find) were somewhat noisy?

Well, by way of an update to this (interesting seeing my thought process over a number of months.. ;) ) I can say I was about to order some MH-X50's over the weekend, and then by extraordinary luck, a good deal on some Showtec Indigo 4600 presented itself, and they are duly ordered! ;)

I shall report back on what I think of them, as there doesn't appear to be very much editorial about them anywhere, considering they've been out for a while.

This may be a 'good thing' as it also might indicate no realy serious issues with them either!

• 3 months later...

Well, to just add my 2p to this... We've just gotten 4 of the Indigo 4600 and they are bloomin' lovely lights!

In every metric I can think of, they easily beat Robe MS250 Zoom in terms of performance, faster, brighter, lighter, better colours, faster colour wheel.

They would be nicer if they were quieter but I don't think for the price I can complain!

Josh

Archived