Please check out my new projector software project!

BenLoftis

Hi everyone! A few weeks ago I started a little project to light our local coffeehouse shows. Now I've turned it into a Kickstarter project and I thought this group might find it interesting:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1165472524/fishbowl-dynamic-stage-lighting-for-any-venue

FIshbowl is inexpensive software that you run on your computer and projector. It gives you background colors and/or a moving followspot and/or psychedelic moving backgrounds.

Please check it out, and tell me what features you think I should add!

Best Regards,

-Ben

Hmmm...

Welcome to the Blue Room.

Whilst for many, the program will have limited appeal, I do think there will be some applications that might make it an interesting tool to have in the box.

I think I read it right that you have limited scenes on the package at the moment - obviously you can/will develop more as time goes on and you hopefully get the support you need. How will you publicise/promote those additions?

Is there any scope for the software to use existing backgrounds such as movie loops as optional add-ins? If so, that to me would make this far more attractive.

Just a couple of thoughts.

It looks like it may have its uses once it has been developed a lot further than it appears to be now.

I was interested, though, in

The top row of keys, 1-0, choose solid colors from "cool" (green) to "hot" (orange).

"Cool (green)" is a new concept to me and I wonder where blue has gone? Also, a choice of only 10 colours is incredibly restricting to those of us who are used to the Lee swatch!

Good luck with it, though.

Hi everyone, thanks for the nice comments!

@Ynot:

Regarding scenes: Backers at the $100 or higher level can specify a scene to be added to FIshbowl. Personally, I've done everything that I would want to do in a small-format music production.

Regarding looped movies: I don't have much interest in that, no. Firstly, there are lots of apps that can show movies. Secondly, it requires a much more involved interface, while FIshbowl is intended to be simple and fun.

@Just Some Bloke:

I chose to go green->aqua->blue->purple->red->orange->yellow. Just personal preference I guess. Again, the goal isn't to be encyclopedic but instead to get the most common tools directly under your fingers without any setup required.

Of course a more complicated app could certainly come in the future. But surely there is already some professional-level projection software out there?

Thanks again for the comments, please spread the word about Fishbowl ! This is my first light project (I usually work on audio applications) so I don't yet have a lot of connections/collaborators.

Best,

Ben

Most moving lights have pretty standard stick colours, so having the colour range built on primaries and secondaries would be very useful - so the usual red, blue and green are pretty important, plus yellow, cyan and magenta? I'm a little confused as how the followspot would work. I assume the idea is to have, say, the band on stage then light the area with the projector, so the white splodge hits the highlighted persons face? Are you thinking using a white cloth at the back of the stage for the screen? I think I'm concerned the product is useful BUT needs a mega bright projector if it's got to cover the performers too?

Have you any clips of it being used live, with real people?

Have you any clips of it being used live, with real people?

@paulears:

Here's a short clip from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7SzQfSYQYM

Despite a lot of shortcomings (bad camera placement, bad projector placement, not knowing the songs, outdoor gig, etc) .... you can get an idea of the light output. There are only 2 lights used in this scene: an LED color-changing "Mega Panel" and Fishbowl.

You can see vertical bars running horizontally across the amps, generated by Fishbowl. I've got the followspot focused on the lead singer's mic, so when he steps in to sing you can see him clearly. Finally, I'm triggering a "flash" effect along with the music (this is the C key). Occasionally I tried a quick "dim" effect but that didn't look good so I stopped doing that.

I got much more adventurous with rotates & zooms later in the night, but unfortunately the camera battery gave out. I'm looking at some alternative camera footage.

Keep in mind this is a bottom-of-the-line consumer projector from 5 years ago; "it's not about how well the elephant dances, but rather the fact that it dances at all!"

Best,

-Ben

Keep in mind this is a bottom-of-the-line consumer projector from 5 years ago; "it's not about how well the elephant dances, but rather the fact that it dances at all!"

Indeed, it's certainly got legs.

However:

I've got the followspot focused on the lead singer's mic, so when he steps in to sing you can see him clearly.

This means that it's a fixed spot not a follow spot. Does it actually work as a follow spot (where it can follow people around)? Otherwise you might be over-stating things a bit.

Hope you get your funding sorted and keep going with the R&D.

This means that it's a fixed spot not a follow spot. Does it actually work as a follow spot (where it can follow people around)? Otherwise you might be over-stating things a bit.

The spot can be moved with the mouse, yes. Later in the night, I used it to follow a guitar player around stage. But for this particular clip, I dilated it really tiny around the lead singer's mic. ( note: I'm not experienced at lighting at all! My artistic choices may leave much to be desired)

Best,

Ben

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi PaulDF!

Sorry for the mixup on price. I changed the store but forgot to upload the new web page. It's fixed now.

Regarding the keybindings: I might be convinced to make them configurable, if I have some customers who need it.

Thanks!

-Ben

Archived