Trying to source old fader

DrummerJonny

Hi People.

I recently acquired a rather old (late 80's) Studiomaster Desk (16:2). Which is in need of some TLC.

I'm attempting to source a couple of new faders for it, but have drawn blanks with the usual suspects (Farnell, Rapid, RS).

I've found a source for the exact part in the US, but thought I'd see if anybody on here had any suggestions. I'm pretty sure I should be able to swap them for faders of a similar spec, if I can find any.

I'm treating this whole thing as a learning experience on equipment repair, so any other tips are appreciated. In fact, while I'm posting, I may as well ask if there is an easy fix for crackly pots? This is a problem on a good proportion of the EQ, Gain and Pan Pots, so much so that replacement of all of them would be a royal pain. I'm not past doing it though if that's the only option, as this thing is rather easy to work on.

Can't help with the faders, but it may be worth contacting mixermend etc. on Blue Room?

Crackly pots might be improved with some of the Caig products, but be aware that you have what was a budget desk. Whilst it's good to get experience mending stuff, you could spend as much as a nice new small desk costs!

I'm well aware It may end up costing me more than it's worth in fixing it, but I'm more after the experience of repairing a mixer and ironing out all it's faults, partly for fun and partly so I can do the same on a more up to date product should the need arise.

It's actually fantastically nice to work on, and has lovely hand drawn boards that don't seem to have a straight line on them.

...partly so I can do the same on a more up to date product should the need arise.

Not sure that the experience of working on the Studiomaster will translate to many modern boards which mostly use a single PCB mounted under the front panel. You need to remove all the controls before you can extract the board. They're also probably surface mount too.

My Studiomaster from a similar vintage (1988) has responded fairly well to spraying Servisol Super 10 in the pots. It won't fix them permanently but you'll make them usable for a while.

I haven't had to replace any faders though so can't help with a source.

James.

Hi People.

I recently acquired a rather old (late 80's) Studiomaster Desk (16:2). Which is in need of some TLC.

I'm attempting to source a couple of new faders for it, but have drawn blanks with the usual suspects (Farnell, Rapid, RS).

I've found a source for the exact part in the US, but thought I'd see if anybody on here had any suggestions. I'm pretty sure I should be able to swap them for faders of a similar spec, if I can find any.

I'm treating this whole thing as a learning experience on equipment repair, so any other tips are appreciated. In fact, while I'm posting, I may as well ask if there is an easy fix for crackly pots? This is a problem on a good proportion of the EQ, Gain and Pan Pots, so much so that replacement of all of them would be a royal pain. I'm not past doing it though if that's the only option, as this thing is rather easy to work on.

Crackly pots might also be blocking cap failures, DC on pots can sound similar to noisy/worn ones. If it's only happening at one position, almost certainly worn or dirty, but if it's across the range it may be DC on the pot, check voltage on both sides of a crackly versus a quiet pot with no audio going through, they should be the same.

Haven't had to fix a Studiomaster for a long time, but as you are wanting to learn, try carefully opening one of the pots (e.g. may be just a couple of lugs to bend) so you get a look inside, that should give you a clue how the desk's been treated and whether it's full of beer, worn through, mucky contact etc. Don't expect to get it back together afterwards, but you might be able to fix it that way.

Archived